Ohio Man Illegally Arrested for Open Carry Sparks $3M Lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obviously, if any LEO wants my ID, he can have it, because I generally trust my local police agencies.
That said, if I chose not to, I can't imagine my local sheriff's deputies threatening to frame me. They would just find another way to convince me.

. I dont even trust myself1.....papers, please or were gonna throw da book at ya, ya da big book

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen this mentioned a few times on here now, I didn't notice anything about that in the OP?

When police didn't get any answers out of Call, they threatened to charge him with reckless inconvenience and noise disturbances. Eventually, the strong-arm tactics intimidated Call into revealing his name, at which point police discovered that he had a CCW permit. Police returned his weapon and sent him on his way.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When police didn't get any answers out of Call, they threatened to charge him with reckless inconvenience and noise disturbances. Eventually, the strong-arm tactics intimidated Call into revealing his name, at which point police discovered that he had a CCW permit. Police returned his weapon and sent him on his way.

Ah, I guess that didn't register to me as "strong-arm."

It is hard to say, as one said a lot of it would depend on the officers' demeanor for the outcome of the entire situation. It could have just started out as a simple "pissing match" that turned south, and fortunately for the man, the "law" was on his side. 3.6 million is bogus though. Cops are humans too, and they do make mistakes, and they may have just came from a very intense situation straight to that call.

Caution: Hot coffee is HOT!

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to reports, Call entered a store late one night with his gun openly on display. The authorities were alerted, and fairly soon two policemen arrived on the scene. The police officers held Call in the back of the police car, took his weapon, and demanded that he identify himself.

Call refused to identify himself. According to Ohio Revised Code, an individual is not obligated to identify himself to a police officer unless the officer reasonably suspects that the individual is involved in a crime.

This didn't happen in OK and according to the video it was a call from a concerned citizen about a guy with a gun. If NO CRIME WAS COMMITTED according to OHIO LAW the citizen did not have to give his name or any info.

this is how it should have went down

officer: How are you doing tonight?
citizen: I'm doing great and you?
officer: I'm doing just fine. I hate to bother you but we received a call from a concerned citizen about a citizen with a gun. Do you happen to have a CCL for that firearm on your hip?
citizen: Yes I do.
officer: May I see it?
citizen: No, understate law _____ _____ I do not have to show your my CCL or give you my name.
officer: I understand and respect your refusal but it would make my job a lot easier if you just told me your name.
citizen: Sorry I refuse
officer: Dispatch under OHIO LAW ______ ______ he is refusing to show ID but he says he is a CCL holder.
citizen: am I being detained or am I free to go
officer: You are free to go enjoy the rest of your night

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what do reckless inconvenience and noise disturbances have to do with a crazed gun man?

Reckless inconvenience, not giving his ID and causing another officer to respond when he could be out doing something important.
Noise disturbances, since we only see what happens after the second unit arrives we do not know if he was screaming about his rights or his gun being taken away.
All could have been avoided by simply giving his name to the first officer.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
officer: How are you doing tonight?
citizen: I'm doing great and you?
officer: I'm doing just fine. I hate to bother you but we received a call from a concerned citizen about a citizen with a gun. Do you happen to have a CCL for that firearm on your hip?
citizen: Yes I do.
officer: May I see it?
citizen: No, understate law _____ _____ I do not have to show your my CCL or give you my name.
officer: I understand and respect your refusal but it would make my job a lot easier if you just told me your name.
citizen: Sorry I refuse
officer: Dispatch under OHIO LAW ______ ______ he is refusing to show ID but he says he is a CCL holder.
citizen: am I being detained or am I free to go
officer: You are free to go enjoy the rest of your night

And then he walked down the street and shoot his ex-wife and kids with the gun he lied about.

Sorry guys but police HAVE to check things out when they get a call and the smart person will help make it easier on all involved. Do you really think the LEOs enjoy these BS calls? And for the record, expect a lot more of these until people are used to seeing others walk around openly carrying firearms. It sucks for those of you that open carry but it is a fact of life that most people are going to freak and call the cope until they are used to it.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And then he walked down the street and shoot his ex-wife and kids with the gun he lied about.

And then he walked down the street and choked his ex-wife and kids with the thumbs he lied about.

Puh-lease .... you just used the lowest of the low gungrabber BS logic... shame on you!

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And for the record, expect a lot more of these until people are used to seeing others walk around openly carrying firearms. It sucks for those of you that open carry but it is a fact of life that most people are going to freak and call the cope until they are used to it.

Agreed. It's very important that those of us who open carry remember that we're representing the rest of us every day.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And then he walked down the street and choked his ex-wife and kids with the thumbs he lied about.

Puh-lease .... you just used the lowest of the low gungrabber BS logic... shame on you!

No I just used the logic behind the police even existing. Sorry guys but all it is going to take is the police missing one such incident for the gun grabbers to start working to ban open carry.

Agreed. It's very important that those of us who open carry remember that we're representing the rest of us every day.

Exactly!!!! Show some common sense is all I am saying.

Right now about half the country is scared to death of guns and their owners. Do not give them ammunition to use against us. If you are carrying and an LEO ask, show him your ID. If you do not legally have to, do it anyway but tell him you are doing it under protest because the laws says you do not have to. Show the general public that you are a responsible, mature gun owner and not the crazed right winger the gun grabbers and media say you are.

It is simple guys, the LEOs have to do you the job they were hired to do and that the general public expects them to do. They really do not have much choice in this. You have the choice. Do you let them see you stand there arguing about you rights to show off your firearm, see your gun taken away and you placed in the back of a police car, or do you show them a responsible gun owner who when stopped by the police corporates in a civil manor and is allowed to leave with his firearm still on his hip? Which looks better for gun owners?

Latest posts

Top Bottom