OHP Radar Band

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not about speed, its getting money for the city/governor.

If it were about safety, the states that have raised the speed limit to 80+ that used to regulate them to 70 would be in violation of safety laws. LOL.

Where in the world do you get your information, dude?? Most of that money goes to the county, not the city or the state ...

And there have been plenty of studies that show higher the speed, worse the accident ... No, I'm not gonna go find a bunch of links ... LOL

I'm another "regular" speeder. And when I say "speeder" I mean 100 should be cruising speed on an unbusy divided highway ... Seriously ... I've been pulled over more times than I can count. Never came close to getting enough points to lose my license, never hiked my skirt up or unbuttoned my blouse, never cried either and wasn't playing like I was Mario Andretti -- and this was in the years before I had tag badges on all the vehicles ... But I was always respectful, always had my insurance and license and never lied. I believe GC when he says more folks talk themselves into a ticket, than out of one ...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago had a Missouri Highway patrolman go up to my Supra while he had me in the front seat of his car and tell my gf at the time to tell me when I came back not to rely on 'that' (pointing at my super duper uber expensive radar/laser detector that I had quickly pulled off the dash but was sitting on the console still in view) because he got me using 'this' (shows her a stopwatch).

I travel constantly. Between Coweta to BA or Tulsa and back almost daily and/or late at night when Im home, from Tulsa to Des Moines and back one weekend a month, and then between Des Moines and northern California for a one month stay every quarter. Have been at it over 10 years now. Sometimes I fly but usually I drive because I like being out on the road. When its nice Im in my sports car when its not Im in my 4x4 or AWD/4x4 SUV. I almost never get pulled over in the truck, its always one of the cars. And weirdly I get pulled over the most- usually get warnings but did get the first ticket Ive got in a few years a couple of weeks ago- on Hwy 51 from Coweta city limits to close to Oneta RD. Thats not even 5 miles from my home. Never out in the middle of nowhere on I-80 in Nevada while going 90 at 3am. Always around the corner from the house. Im usually always near or right at 10 over but have been told I was over 10 a few times but havent got a ticket for 10 over that I can ever remember, they usually get 'knocked down' to 9 over. I always thank them for that too. This last one I got he said I was going 68 but I could have swore it was more like 63, but I do not argue. Its 55 on hwy 51 when you get off of the BA Xpressway all the way to Coweta. Needs to be 65.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago had a Missouri Highway patrolman go up to my Supra while he had me in the front seat of his car and tell my gf at the time to tell me when I came back not to rely on 'that' (pointing at my super duper uber expensive radar/laser detector that I had quickly pulled off the dash but was sitting on the console still in view) because he got me using 'this' (shows her a stopwatch).

I travel constantly. Between Coweta to BA or Tulsa and back almost daily and/or late at night when Im home, from Tulsa to Des Moines and back one weekend a month, and then between Des Moines and northern California for a one month stay every quarter. Have been at it over 10 years now. Sometimes I fly but usually I drive because I like being out on the road. When its nice Im in my sports car when its not Im in my 4x4 or AWD/4x4 SUV. I almost never get pulled over in the truck, its always one of the cars. And weirdly I get pulled over the most- usually get warnings but did get the first ticket Ive got in a few years a couple of weeks ago- on Hwy 51 from Coweta city limits to close to Oneta RD. Thats not even 5 miles from my home. Never out in the middle of nowhere on I-80 in Nevada while going 90 at 3am. Always around the corner from the house. Im usually always near or right at 10 over but have been told I was over 10 a few times but havent got a ticket for 10 over that I can ever remember, they usually get 'knocked down' to 9 over. I always thank them for that too. This last one I got he said I was going 68 but I could have swore it was more like 63, but I do not argue. Its 55 on hwy 51 when you get off of the BA Xpressway all the way to Coweta. Needs to be 65.

No joke. I have no idea why that stretch is only 55. If I go 55, I get looked at like i'm crazy.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Radar detectors make for a good warning that the traffic up ahead is likely to be slowing down or as previously mentioned in the case of LIDAR, make a good alert that one should pull on over.

That is what happened to me recently on the new 10 lane section of the OKC crosstown where the speed limit is still 60. I have dash cam video of my butthurt alarm going off, the officers lights turning on long before I even pass him, me pulling over quickly, ticket, and back to a slower 70mph. Right about 5 minutes between the alert and back to speed, at least it was efficient. Though, my carry permit didn't help at all. I thought it was just as good as those FOP badges on your tag :blush: I didn't really mind as I consider it the cost of doing business, though I wish I could just pre-pay and be allowed 10-20 over all the time.

On that section of highway, I often can have the fast lane to myself for a half mile ahead and behind. Now, since I am now on high alert, I work in and out of traffic, which is definitely less safe. I drive for the conditions, typically the traffic is averaging 70mph through this section of the highway. Which means means faster traffic is doing 75-80. Someone needs to do some speed limit assessments on this 10 lane divided highway. Heck, later that night I was driving home in the dark on 66 which is 2 lane, undivided, dark as hell, with a speed limit of 65 where I usually drive 65.

What did annoy me is when I realized later it was the OKC police doing revenue generation, instead of the OHP keeping traffic in check. I guess it shouldn't, but it did.

They have a permanent West bound beat set up to radar there. The only time you won't see someone either radaring or having someone pulled over is lunch time and shift change.

And to whoever said we should adopt Texas' 80 MPH speed limit... HECK NO!
I'm an ASE cert. mechanic and when I was doing that before college... I'd guess less than 50% of the vehicles I saw were fit for that speed, much less when you take into consideration the driver's competence.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Phfffttt...

I did OKC to Guymon twice a week for months (up on Monday, back on Friday). Then it was OKC to Lamar, CO. I cleaned up on those deals.

I drove from Guymon to LaJunta CO every Monday then back every Thursday for five months, then Raton NM to Guymon and back once every two weeks for three months. Then Guymon to OKC on Monday and back on Thursday for eight months. I finally gave up and moved to OKC, pretty sure I put 60K on my truck that year and a half. I learned you could pretty much get away with speeding everywhere but Seiling and Goodwell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom