Ok this is just too cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a pretty large neodymium magnet.... I'll bet if that were an iron pipe he'd have trouble pulling that magnet off of it. Alot of folks don't realize how strong neodymium magnets are. Not sure if the eddy current would be nearly as strong trying to do that trick with a standard iron-ferrite magnet, for those planning on attempting.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a pretty large neodymium magnet.... I'll bet if that were an iron pipe he'd have trouble pulling that magnet off of it. Alot of folks don't realize how strong neodymium magnets are. Not sure if the eddy current would be nearly as strong trying to do that trick with a standard iron-ferrite magnet, for those planning on attempting.

Yep, I tried it at work this morning.8 inch long piece of 1.5 inch copper pipe and some magnets holding a calendar to the wall. Didn't work, must need those rare earth magnets.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm totally getting a neodymium magnet and copper tube after work. Every time I get drunk I can wow myself with science...or pretend to be a sorceror...

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My son did this as his science fair project last year (he's 12). I didn't hurt that I used to work for a company that made NeFeB Magnets. All has to do with Eddy Currents. It can be done with a brass pipe as well, although it is not quite as spectacular. As to the post that talked about the "flashlights" that was the science fair project from the year before. Move a magnet through coils with different number of turns of wire, and measure the generated current. The magnets we used are about 1" long and about 3/4" in diameter. Use caution around electronics, I have wiped out a digital watch and have seen an early digital camera wiped out with a rare earth magnet.

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The copper pipe and amazingness of the magnetic science reminds me a cool video I ran across today. Induction forges:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom