OGE price drop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The local news talking heads reported a week or so ago that OGE was slashing monthly bills. Supposedly it was due to the price of natural gas dropping. I remember they reported large profits during the natural gas 'shortage' a year ago. I just looked through my chase bank account bill-pay history and realized that the cost of natural gas, reflected in my bill-pay payments, dropped back in May of this year. I use averaged billing for both gas and electric. If OGE was cutting the cost of electric service now because of natural gas prices shouldn't they have dropped the price back in May or June?

My averaged gas bill is normally about 60. At its highest it was 170! WTF! My electric bill is normally about 200, averaged. I use alot of electric, wife likes the house cold..and we got a pool pump that runs 12 hours a day during pool season. During the natural gas 'shortage' my electric is about 260, I just got my electric bill and it's 200. It's back to normal now.

This whole shortage thing seems like a scam to my dumb brain. Maybe I just dont understand commodity speculation.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also received a notice (included with my OG&E bill) for my electric service saying that I could expect a $20 plus change reduction in my electric bill starting in November. I won't even try to figure out the why's and what-for's about this happening but I am pleased that this should lower my monthly electric bill (at least for now).

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My OGE bill is averaged and it’s been over $300 every month. I am all electric so mine is gonna be hire but it’s still ridiculous. My dad isn’t all electric and his is averaged as well, and his is currently being about $250 every month.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I briefly worked for one of their subsidiary companies but spent a lot of time working with corporate. You're paying for a lot of do-nothing office workers and corporate swag.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My OGE bill is averaged and it’s been over $300 every month. I am all electric so mine is gonna be hire but it’s still ridiculous. My dad isn’t all electric and his is averaged as well, and his is currently being about $250 every month.

My house is total electric and it was $89 last month. 1600 sq feet house in Piedmont.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have electric hot water, lights (of course) and an electric furnace. We rarely run the furnace because our home is only about 1100 sq ft and we heat it with a propane fireplace and run ceiling fans to circulate the air. We do the bill averaging and it's about $130 month. We used 150 gals of propane for heat and cooking over the last year.

Electric heat is WAY more costly than A/C.

This is one of the least expensive homes to run that I've ever lived in. Only the house in Colorado cost less. We heated strictly with wood we harvested from our own property and we didn't have an A/C. Electricity was more expensive but we didn't use nearly as much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom