Oklahoma Home Invasions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to these boards and didn't know this thread existed.

We had an attempted home invasion in NW Oklahoma City (NW 178th & Penn) in the early hours of Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010.

I've started a couple of threads about it:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108166

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1126949&page=1

My wife and I live alone but our nieces were staying with us that morning. Their dad worked the late shift for years and they are used to staying up until all hours of the morning so we thought the small and big "bangs" that we heard were the girls. If the guys had gained entrance we would have literally walked, unarmed, right into them.

This has been a huge wake-up call for me and what was just a casual hobby is likely to become an obsession. I've got the basic tools (9mm, .556, 12 guage) but I don't have adequate training and skills or even accessories (lights). I now plan to remedy that. I will also be purchasing a gun safe in the near future, something I've talked about for years and always put off because "nobody's ever going to break in here...it's a nice neighborhood".

Something else I learned but haven't posted in any other threads is the importance of community. These guys went to at least two other houses before ours and actually communicated with the inhabitants. Each of these neighbors called the police to report their experiences and the result was that when we called to report a break-in attempt where the burglar might still be close the police were literally already on their way. In the past, if someone knocked on my door in the wee hours I probably wouldn't have called the police to report it. Now I know better.

Yesterday, my wife and I were in the car and she suddenly asked "Should I get my CCW?". I told her if she wanted one we would do it but that I would rather she take some defensive firearms courses with me and then we could make regular trips to the range.

From now on I will be strongly recommending to all my friends and co-workers that they do something to fortify their homes. I would encourage everyone here to go to the following website read about this type of product. This particular product may not be perfect for everyone but I'm ordering them for every exterior door.

http://www.armorconcepts.com/EZ-Armor

I've also read that there is a film you can buy and place on your windows which makes them like windshield glass....very hard to shatter. I haven't researched these yet but unless they are prohibitively expensive I will be doing this as well.

I would ask that everyone be extra alert, especially during this holiday season, to anything unusual in your home or neighborhood and I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
glad you are ok friend.

***kind of tongue in cheek, but can we combine the big bore lever gun thread and this one***

Maybe, if some of these jackholes will get there chest blown out, then perhaps some of them will think before they kick a door. An Extreme violent reaction to the home invaders is the call of the day!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Second suspect arrested in home-invasion homicide

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Published: 12/20/2010 7:37 AM

Authorities have arrested two men who they believe were involved in the shooting death of a man who chased two intruders from his home Saturday, officials said.

Tyler Kerry Hamlett, 17, was arrested Sunday on complaint of first-degree murder and Michael Morris Taylor on Monday afternoon in the death of Jerry Lee VanEllen, a 38-year-old National Guards member who was found dead about 3:40 a.m. Saturday outside his home in the 5800 block of South 87th East Avenue, police said.

Two men apparently entered VanEllen’s home through an unlocked garage door. VanEllen’s wife, brother and two children also were inside the home at the time, police said.

Tulsa Police Sgt. Mike Huff said the men went to the house because they thought a drug dealer lived there.

VanEllen “was not a drug dealer in any shape or form,” Huff said. He said the investigation is leading detectives to believe the men went into the wrong house.

The intruders reportedly held the family at gunpoint and took cell phones and other items. Huff said the men also sliced the throat of the family's dog.

VanEllen, who police said was a member of the Army National Guard, chased the intruders outside through the front door, and one of the men shot at him twice, hitting him once in the chest, police said.

Donald Bell, a friend of VanEllen’s who spoke on behalf of the family, said VanEllen was a noncommissioned officer with the Oklahoma National Guard and had served in the military, active duty and as a Guard member, for
almost 20 years.

Bell said VanEllen joined the National Guard when he was 18 because he always wanted to serve his country.

“To me, he was just a classic American guy,” Bell said.

VanEllen’s brother had spent the Friday night at the house after the family celebrated the first birthday of VanEllen’s son, Kyle. Also at the home during the night were VanEllen’s wife, Annie VanEllen, and 2-year-old daughter, Rachael, Bell said.

The two intruders broke in through a side door and stabbed the family’s dog, he said.

They then threatened VanEllen’s brother, who had been asleep on the couch, with a gun and demanded cash, Bell said.

That awoke VanEllen, who confronted the robbers as they were starting to get close to the children’s room, he said.

“That set Jerry off,” Bell said. “Something snapped in him, and he charged them.”

As VanEllen chased the robbers into the street, one turned and shot two times, striking VanEllen and leaving him in the driveway, where he died, Bell said.

“He’s dearly missed,” he said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/...ctid=450&articleid=20101220_11_0_TulsaP706286

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Second suspect arrested in home-invasion homicide

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Published: 12/20/2010 7:37 AM

Authorities have arrested two men who they believe were involved in the shooting death of a man who chased two intruders from his home Saturday, officials said.

Tyler Kerry Hamlett, 17, was arrested Sunday on complaint of first-degree murder and Michael Morris Taylor on Monday afternoon in the death of Jerry Lee VanEllen, a 38-year-old National Guards member who was found dead about 3:40 a.m. Saturday outside his home in the 5800 block of South 87th East Avenue, police said.

Two men apparently entered VanEllen’s home through an unlocked garage door. VanEllen’s wife, brother and two children also were inside the home at the time, police said.

Tulsa Police Sgt. Mike Huff said the men went to the house because they thought a drug dealer lived there.

VanEllen “was not a drug dealer in any shape or form,” Huff said. He said the investigation is leading detectives to believe the men went into the wrong house.

The intruders reportedly held the family at gunpoint and took cell phones and other items. Huff said the men also sliced the throat of the family's dog.

VanEllen, who police said was a member of the Army National Guard, chased the intruders outside through the front door, and one of the men shot at him twice, hitting him once in the chest, police said.

Donald Bell, a friend of VanEllen’s who spoke on behalf of the family, said VanEllen was a noncommissioned officer with the Oklahoma National Guard and had served in the military, active duty and as a Guard member, for
almost 20 years.

Bell said VanEllen joined the National Guard when he was 18 because he always wanted to serve his country.

“To me, he was just a classic American guy,” Bell said.

VanEllen’s brother had spent the Friday night at the house after the family celebrated the first birthday of VanEllen’s son, Kyle. Also at the home during the night were VanEllen’s wife, Annie VanEllen, and 2-year-old daughter, Rachael, Bell said.

The two intruders broke in through a side door and stabbed the family’s dog, he said.

They then threatened VanEllen’s brother, who had been asleep on the couch, with a gun and demanded cash, Bell said.

That awoke VanEllen, who confronted the robbers as they were starting to get close to the children’s room, he said.

“That set Jerry off,” Bell said. “Something snapped in him, and he charged them.”

As VanEllen chased the robbers into the street, one turned and shot two times, striking VanEllen and leaving him in the driveway, where he died, Bell said.

“He’s dearly missed,” he said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/...ctid=450&articleid=20101220_11_0_TulsaP706286

There are no words to express the rage I felt as I read that article and looked at those pictures.

Latest posts

Top Bottom