Oklahoma Knife Laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heeeelllllpppppp!!!!!!!šŸ˜‰
I have spent roughly three hours searching the internet for information on Oklahomaā€™s knife laws and have yet to find anything Iā€™m comfortable believing. For example the following website states there is a 4ā€ maximum blade length for concealed carry fixed blades Oklahoma Knife Law ā€“ The Complete Guide (In Plain English) and suggests to visit the AKTI website for updated info and they say there arenā€™t any dimensional restrictions. Oklahoma Knife Laws | American Knife and Tool Institute
Iā€™ve been reading .gov websites and on and on and am a bit frustrated and tired of beating my head against the computer screen. Even did a search here on OSA and couldnā€™t find a darn thing. Would be a great sticky in the knife forum. Can anyone please šŸ™ refer me to a reliable source for current knife laws here in Oklahoma? Iā€™d like to start carrying a good sized fixed blade and even bought a nice knife from @JEVapa but would like to avoid surrendering it because the darn blade is too long.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Oklahoma Statutes on owning/carrying knives were seriously overhauled a few (maybe five?) years ago, and a lot of things that were illegal no longer are (f'rinstance, it's perfectly legal to carry automatic knives now, and there's state preemption on the regulation of knives).

If you want to look it up, it's in the Oklahoma Statutes, Title 21. I forget the sections, but they're somewhere in the 1200s, in the vicinity of the SDA (Ā§1289 comes to mind).

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1685675742886.png

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My question is "when is a knife classified as a weapon?"

Is a pocket knife considered a weapon?

Having an issue right now over this and one side keeps saying "...well the weapon involved..." and we are like, it was an accident and it was a pocket knife.

But no one seems to know how a pocket knife can automatically be classified as "a weapon."

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I often keep double edge dagger knives in my vehicle door panels and often wear a 5ā€ double edge boot knife when Iā€™m out bank fishing. Iā€™ve wondered about the legality of my double edge knivesā€¦

They stab into anything like butter. Viscous weapons.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's out of date. Here's the current version of that section:
Ā§21-1272. Unlawful carry.

UNLAWFUL CARRY

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any blackjack, loaded cane, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for self-defense, hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency;

4. The carrying or use of weapons in a courthouse by a district judge, associate district judge or special district judge within this state, who is in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose name appears on a list maintained by the Administrative Director of the Courts;

5. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, "living history reenactment" means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period; or

6. The transporting by vehicle on a public roadway or the carrying of a firearm, concealed or unconcealed, loaded or unloaded, by a person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older or by a person who is eighteen (18) years of age but not yet twenty-one (21) years of age and the person is a member or veteran of the United States Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard or was discharged under honorable conditions from the United States Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard, and the person is otherwise not disqualified from the possession or purchase of a firearm under state or federal law and is not carrying the firearm in furtherance of a crime.

Except as provided in subsection B of Section 1283 of this title, a person who has been convicted of any one of the following offenses in this state or a violation of the equivalent law of another state:

a. assault and battery pursuant to the provisions of Section 644 of this title which caused serious physical injury to the victim,

b. aggravated assault and battery pursuant to the provisions of Section 646 of this title,

c. assault and battery that qualifies as domestic abuse as defined in Section 644 of this title,

d. stalking pursuant to the provisions of Section 1173 of this title,

e. a violation of an order issued under the Protection from Domestic Abuse Act or a domestic abuse protection order issued by another state, or

f. a violation relating to illegal drug use or possession under the provisions of the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Act,

shall be prohibited from carrying a firearm under the provisions of this paragraph. Any person who carries a firearm in the manner provided for in this paragraph shall be prohibited from carrying the firearm into any of the places prohibited in subsection A of Section 1277 of this title or any other place currently prohibited by law. Nothing in this section shall modify or otherwise change where a person may legally carry a firearm.

B. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this title.

R.L. 1910, Ā§ 2546. Amended by Laws 1957, p. 163, Ā§ 1; Laws 1969, c. 311, Ā§ 1, emerg. eff. April 28, 1969; Laws 1993, c. 309, Ā§ 1, emerg. eff. June 7, 1993; Laws 1995, c. 272, Ā§ 26, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Laws 1996, c. 191, Ā§ 2, emerg. eff. May 16, 1996; Laws 2003, c. 465, Ā§ 1, eff. July 1, 2003; Laws 2007, c. 128, Ā§ 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2007; Laws 2012, c. 259, Ā§ 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2012; Laws 2013, c. 102, Ā§ 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2013; Laws 2015, c. 197, Ā§ 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2015; Laws 2016, c. 217, Ā§ 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2016; Laws 2018, c. 68, Ā§ 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2018; Laws 2019, c. 1, Ā§ 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2019; Laws 2021, c. 292, Ā§ 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2021.

NOTE: Laws 1993, c. 264, Ā§ 1 repealed by Laws 1994, c. 2, Ā§ 34, emerg. eff. March 2, 1994.
Taken from
http://oklegislature.gov/tsrs_os_oc.aspx

Waynehead05

Marksman
Reaction score
I carry my pocket knife just about everywhere. Iā€™ve given it to the security guards at the Cleveland County Courthouse multiple times because I forgot, and was in a rush. They say itā€™s not a problem at all because itā€™s a tool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom