Oklahoma liquor laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New Belgium can be had at the Sam's Club in Joplin. Not a bad place to stop on the way home from a road trip.

I always wondered why the tribal governments don't try the liquor thing out. You'd think they could skirt the taxes. Or is there something in the treaties that prevents this?

Indians and "fire water" have a storied past. Just one theory.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me, Oklahoma Liquor Laws, Gun laws, Tax laws, and most everything else our state Legislature is in charge of boils down to one thing. Rather than our Legislature looking around at what works well in other states and taking the best ideas of each category they can find and passing them for Oklahoma, they want to be the one to re-invent the wheel and try to make themselves the star by trying to make it work in an oval, if it does not work, amend the law and try a square. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. Then you also have the "untouchable" items like our liquor and insurance laws that have so much money backing opposition to change that it does not happen. Too many "Good Old Boys" making a name for themselves.

I am still baffled by our legislature taking the time to pass a law to allow Liquor Stores to sell corkscrews this session. Our State Government is at work taking care of business after all the time spent by a previous Legislature over 30 years ago to ban these sales, we finally fixed it. What a waste.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't have a "liquor cabinet"? Jeez at 20 yrs old my liquor cabinet housed a few liters of various beverages.

To the BATF ^^^ that is nothing but fictional internet bravado. :uhh:

T

turtleboy

Me and my wife own a liquor store in edmond, any of you guys that live out here need to stop by Lybolt liquors on 2nd and santa fe or gps 2508 w edmond rd we would appreciate the support. i know it sucks but you have to look at the big infuences outside the box. yes the liquor distributers and stores dont want six point in the stores, but if walmart really wanted it they are more than capable of making it happen. if you were in thier shoes would you want to create more competition for yourself. 6 point beer in the grocery stores mean cost co and others could possibly move in on the market, if they did thier would be even more competition. i really dont see it happening.also if it does happen do you think walmart profits stay in oklahoma.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and my wife own a liquor store in edmond, any of you guys that live out here need to stop by Lybolt liquors on 2nd and santa fe or gps 2508 w edmond rd we would appreciate the support. i know it sucks but you have to look at the big infuences outside the box. yes the liquor distributers and stores dont want six point in the stores, but if walmart really wanted it they are more than capable of making it happen. if you were in thier shoes would you want to create more competition for yourself. 6 point beer in the grocery stores mean cost co and others could possibly move in on the market, if they did thier would be even more competition. i really dont see it happening.also if it does happen do you think walmart profits stay in oklahoma.

My Solution:

I live in the Tulsa area, so will not be by soon because of logistics, but if I could buy real beer (more than the 3.2 versions which has a different taste) of Miller, Coors, Bud, and other Domestic, or Imports in your liquor store cold, I would, rather than driving or flying out of state to pick it up, I would. I think there is more to the ruckus about why Miller, Coors, Bud and others do not supply real beer to you, I think most of it is because you are not allowed to chill it. I think Coors in particular wants their beer to stay chilled, which Oklahoma laws will not allow you do, it could be dangerous, right?

To me, there is no reason to have a big revision in laws or competition to change this for some of us that prefer real beer.
Oklahoma needs to upgrade its attitude, as the rest of the nation discovered many years ago, refrigeration is a proven method of keeping beer cold. If Oklahoma wants to continue to have 3.2 in the grocery and discount stores, fine, but why not allow Liquor Stores sell all beer products with more than 3.2 percent from a cooler rather than forcing them to sell it hot. I think this would solve a lot of issues with the public, breweries, and possibly with the store owners. It might be that the regular brands would supply the better tasting beer in Oklahoma and we the public would have a choice without totally destroying either market?

By the way, aren't you ecstatic that this 2012 State Legislature took their time and has passed a law that now you are allowed to sell corkscrews with the wine you sell? What a deal, after 30 years, we are making progress in Oklahoma.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont get whats so wrong about selling corkscrews in liquor stores. Why wasnt that allowed in the first place?

Don't know, but the legislature passed it this year, Joint House Resolution 1015, it is now legal.

I guess it was a loophole somewhere, if there is not a law that says it is legal, it must not be legal, like many other things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom