Oklahoma magazine limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
man ive read that a hundred time in the regs and never really aknowledged that i could use my saiga w the factory 10 rounder, i just assumed that it was like my ar and needed a mag with less than 7

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
man ive read that a hundred time in the regs and never really aknowledged that i could use my saiga w the factory 10 rounder, i just assumed that it was like my ar and needed a mag with less than 7

I used to think the same thing - a lot of folks did. That's because we all use common sense - I don't know what wild hair the ODWC had the day they made this reg, but they didn't use much of it when making that restriction.

I'm a big fan of the ODWC, I appreciate what we have here for hunting, but to restrict only one caliber for deer (and one of the smallest usable calibers at that) is stupid.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Very Big Bad, cause I had asked him about my AR. Sorry for being a Dumb *@$%

Don't beat yourself up too bad. When you asked him about your AR, he assumed it was a .223.
My AR in .243 WSSM doesn't have any magazine restriction. Its only a cartridge restriction, not a restriction on any make or model of firearm.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, 10 or more years ago, the mag limit did apply to all rifles. Not so anymore.

I recall the same thing. One unintended consequence at the time was magnum pistol caliber lever action carbines often exceeded the mag capacity limit. I think even some long barreled 30-30 lever action rifles were over the limit as well.

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If in doubt call or e-mail them.

Department Headquarters
P.O. Box 53465, Oklahoma City, 73152
(405) 521-3851
Fax: (405) 521-6535
(1801 N. Lincoln Blvd. Located just south of
the State Capitol)

Law Enforcement Office Headquarters .....(405) 521-3719
(Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

Questions or comments can be e-mailed to [email protected]

craigkindlesmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's a regulation that hasn't been, and needs to be, updated. Either restrict them all, or no restrictions. Looks like to me that it was put into place the only rifles they were worried about were AR's. That would explain why they set the .22 cal centerfire restriction. They left the 55 grain bullet weight in because there were probably a lot of people hunting with bolt action .223's. You can't cut the bolt actions out, but if they leave the 55 grain weight minimum in place they can't stop the AR's. Some genius some where probably said, "Lets restrict the magazines. That'll stop the AR's from hitting the woods." Which is stupid.

Since then people have started to hunt more, and more, with assault rifles. A lot of which aren't .22 cal. So the regulation REALLY looks stupid now. It's something that needs to be addressed, but legislature doesn't even know it's out there, or ODWC has tried to change it, and the legislature hasn't it deemed it to be worth changing.

Who knows. Could be completely wrong though.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some reason I want to say it was due to making the AR a "sporting rifle" in the governments eyes back when the ban was going, I could be wrong but I recall some talk about it how true it is I couldn't tell ya! I just like to run the shorter 5 round mags so I don't get all tangled up in the brush. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom