Oklahoma magazine limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since then people have started to hunt more, and more, with assault rifles.

Not to pick on you man, but this is wrong. Assault rifles have a full-auto switch and are completely different than semi-auto ARs and AKs.

I know what you meant, but this is more than the silly clips/magazines issue - when everyone starts calling them "Assault Rifles" we've lost the battle because bans like the 94 Clinton "Assault Weapons Ban" now jive with what gun-people are saying (even though both are wrong and "Assault Weapons" is a made-up term).

AR-15s have always been semi-auto Sporting rifles.

This is like someone saying that a Chevy Impala shouldn't be allowed on the road because its clearly a "race car" - I mean, look at the one's in NASCAR - they're practically the same thing right?

Looks can be deceiving my friend - so can ignorance in the hands of anti-gun politicians.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to pick on you man, but this is wrong. Assault rifles have a full-auto switch and are completely different than semi-auto ARs and AKs.

Looks can be deceiving my friend - so can ignorance in the hands of anti-gun politicians.

Every rifle style in existance today is derived from a military weapon.
The bolt action evolved from the rolling block, or muzzle loaders in different countries with the .303 british, 30-40 Krag in the US and many others. Heck!
The early MZ were a military weapon for Gods sake.
Then the John Browning era came along with some competing designers from Europe, and the semi-auto, and full auto came along.
The Rem 742 and the M1Garand share the same action. One is famous for combat, but the other is a famous deer cartridge for the east coast. Same caliber.....30-06, so why is one a deer gun, and the other an assualt weapon.?

Guess I could go on for hours on this subject, but this is kind of a basic.

tim003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called the game warden in my area where I hunted last year to ask him about the magazine restrictions on deer hunting. I told him that I have an AR rifle that shoot 6.8 instead of .223 and want to know if I can use a 10 round magazine, sure enough he told me YES. Like everybody already said, the magazine restriction is only apply to .22s caliber rifle. If anybody ever in doubt, you should call the game warden in your area.

craigkindlesmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

so can ignorance in the hands of anti-gun politicians.

Selector switch. Not "full-auto" switch. Four stage selectors will get you to 3 round burst, between semi and full, and still fall in the same category you're talking about without being "full-auto". And some three stage selectors max at at 3 round burst. Not trying to be a smart@**. At all.... honest. Just trying to make sure we're on the same page during our discussion.

You're not picking on me. At all. It's a difference of opinion is all.

As far as the AR-15's being always being a sporting rifle.... I'll argue that. I'll argue that NO rifle was originally designed to be a sporting rifle. Just like the other contributer said. Almost every one of todays bolt actions are built off the 1903 Springfield. Which was indeed the precursor to the M1 Garand for infantry troops in the U.S. Other bolts are "Mauser Actions" designed directly off the actions of the Mauser rifles German troops carried through WWII.

M-16 is a Vietnam era military "assault weapon". The AR-15 was a legal answer to soldiers coming back from Vietnam to that wanted to own their M-16. Hell they were getting shot at in the jungle on day, and home in bed the next. They lived with that weapon through hell, now they get hom and don't have it anymore. Thus the AR-15. At least that's the way it was explained to me from the Colt instructor when I went through armors school. Vets weren't snatching up AR's to go hunting, I promise you. Now if you want to say they AR is not an "assault weapon" because one has a selector switch, and the other doesn't. That's fine with me. I just don't agree is all.

As far as the "ignorant" part.... well ignorant is a relative term.

lol Now that I've gotten this thread WAY off track...... I appologise. Magazine restrictions are dumb. They should just be gotten rid of.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Selector switch. Not "full-auto" switch. Four stage selectors will get you to 3 round burst, between semi and full, and still fall in the same category you're talking about without being "full-auto". And some three stage selectors max at at 3 round burst. Not trying to be a smart@**. At all.... honest. Just trying to make sure we're on the same page during our discussion.

You're not picking on me. At all. It's a difference of opinion is all.

As far as the AR-15's being always being a sporting rifle.... I'll argue that. I'll argue that NO rifle was originally designed to be a sporting rifle. Just like the other contributer said. Almost every one of todays bolt actions are built off the 1903 Springfield. Which was indeed the precursor to the M1 Garand for infantry troops in the U.S. Other bolts are "Mauser Actions" designed directly off the actions of the Mauser rifles German troops carried through WWII.

M-16 is a Vietnam era military "assault weapon". The AR-15 was a legal answer to soldiers coming back from Vietnam to that wanted to own their M-16. Hell they were getting shot at in the jungle on day, and home in bed the next. They lived with that weapon through hell, now they get hom and don't have it anymore. Thus the AR-15. At least that's the way it was explained to me from the Colt instructor when I went through armors school. Vets weren't snatching up AR's to go hunting, I promise you. Now if you want to say they AR is not an "assault weapon" because one has a selector switch, and the other doesn't. That's fine with me. I just don't agree is all.

As far as the "ignorant" part.... well ignorant is a relative term.

lol Now that I've gotten this thread WAY off track...... I appologise. Magazine restrictions are dumb. They should just be gotten rid of.

Fair enough - I did replace "fun-switch" with "full-auto switch" in my post before submitting, so you got me there, but saying that an AR is derived from an M16 is one thing - flat out calling it "an assault rifle" is another. Whether it was developed from another rifle or not, its still a semi-auto sporting rifle - period.

Oh and I wasn't calling anyone here ignorant, but when we use terms that we all know what they mean, yet they're wrong - the ignorance of law-makers is what we have to worry about.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be wrong, feel free to correct me it won't hurt my feelings, but didn't ODWC have a magazine restriction on the AK's and SK's back in the early to mid 90's? Seems like 7.62 ammo with a length less than 51mm ala .308 had a capacity restriction on it. Or maybe it was an across the board restriction on all calibers and had a max of 10 rounds it seems like.

Now we have a restriction on .22 centerfire of 7 rounds but we can tramp around the woods with an AK and a 75 round drum. Doesn't make sense to me.

craigkindlesmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fair enough - I did replace "fun-switch" with "full-auto switch" in my post before submitting, so you got me there, but saying that an AR is derived from an M16 is one thing - flat out calling it "an assault rifle" is another. Whether it was developed from another rifle or not, its still a semi-auto sporting rifle - period.

Oh and I wasn't calling anyone here ignorant, but when we use terms that we all know what they mean, yet they're wrong - the ignorance of law-makers is what we have to worry about.

lol @ "fun-switch"

And you may be right. "Assault rifle" seems to be a relative term also. Depends on the person I guess. Do I tell people, "Hey! Look at my new assault rifle!"? No. I don't. It's my AR. But as far as a safe term to use, with a crowd, Assault rifle can be said and every one knows exactly what I'm talking about. Like the previous contributer said about his 6.8. I knew what he was talking about. I bet you did too. But everyone else might not. Sometimes it's easer to generalize. Do you think AR's, AK's and SKS's are Assault rifles, No. Do I think they are? Well as the general public at large knows them, I would say they fall into that category.

The sporting rifle thing.... You know I've got a CMMG piston driven AR. I would NEVER consider taking it into the woods hunting. In my opinon (and it is my personal opinion that I'll probably get raked over the coals for) .223 or 5.56 are ineffective on larger game. I know people that use it for that, but for me I'll pass. And it goes the same way for the AR platform. Outside of a 22" free floating barrel, with a solid stock, and a good scope used for hunting prarie dogs..... it's not a very effective hutning weapon. Mine..... and everyone else that I know that owns one (which is a lot of people) don't use them for hunting. Mine is for "occupational" use, and to protect my home and family. Again.... personal opinion. You say tomato.... I say Tomaato.

I don't like the term assault weapon, for an AR, any more than I like someone using the term "bi-polar" for a kid that just needs his butt whipped. But that's just the way it is sometimes. They're not technically correct, but it's easier that trying to educate the uneducated.

And I re-read the ignorant comment earlier and realized what you meant. No harm here.

craigkindlesmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be wrong, feel free to correct me it won't hurt my feelings, but didn't ODWC have a magazine restriction on the AK's and SK's back in the early to mid 90's? Seems like 7.62 ammo with a length less than 51mm ala .308 had a capacity restriction on it. Or maybe it was an across the board restriction on all calibers and had a max of 10 rounds it seems like.

Now we have a restriction on .22 centerfire of 7 rounds but we can tramp around the woods with an AK and a 75 round drum. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think the restriction you're thinking about fell in line with the general restriction with the original Clinton era gun laws. Nothing new over 10 rounds. You could use pre-ban magazines, but no new items were built, or imported for the general public. SKS's and AK's couldn't come with bayonets.... all that crap.

You're right about the 7.62 ammo. Especially the 7.62x39. During that time it was so readily available. You could get 1,000 rounds for less than $100. That was a nightmare for the pro ban people. 7.62x54R was different, not because of it's longer case, but because the weapons that fired it had a max capacity of 10 rounds. The Draganov came with 10 rounders no matter what year you got it. And Moisn nagant's hold that, or less. So there was no need to really restrict them.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This.

The only restriction is for .22 caliber centerfire rifles - this is the absolute dumbest regulation in the ODWC - but trust me, its there (or - don't take my word for it, click on that link).

So, if you have a .223 AK, a mini-14, or AR, you're stuck. If your SKS is chambered in 7.62x39, you're somehow ok by way of our ridiculous regs.

Is the .223 considered a .22 caliber centerfire rifle? I can understand .22 magnum? But thought the .223 centerfire would be considered a .223 caliber centerfire. I know it's just semantics but I was just curious.

I aggree with everyone else. This rule is pretty much outdated. I had to go back and read the hunting regs several times over to see if I was missing something. I'm glad I'm not the only one who needed clarification.

I was trying to modify my 10 round AR15 6.8 magazines to only hold 7 but after reading through the regs and reading this forum I'm going to just leave the 10 rounders the way they are. I might evern take out some 20 rounders....:rubhands:

Reaction score
Is the .223 considered a .22 caliber centerfire rifle?

Yes, most certainly. No modification needed in your case. I wouldn't hunt with more than a 4 or 5 rounder for weight reasons, regardless.

The only restriction is for .22 caliber centerfire rifles - this is the absolute dumbest regulation in the ODWC

Second dumbest - dumbest is "rimfire or shotshells only, BB or smaller" for hunting pigs on *certain* public lands outside of deer gun season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom