Old Books?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay does anyone know much about old books?

I have one that is hard to read due to F's and S's being used for the same letter. I am guessing that is because it is old English?

Can anyone explain why it is done like this and why one word uses the F then later the same word uses the S? I am hoping to find some reason, hopefully that will make it a bit easier for me to deal with.

Any help will be appreciated, David.

Last edited:

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually an "S", not an "F'". It's called a "long S" and was used up until about the year 1800.
Look at one of the letters in question carefully. Look at the crossbar particularly. It's an "S" if it doesn't have a crossbar. If the crossbar is only on one side, it's an "S". If the crossbar is on both sides, it's an "F".
I don't know if there was some sort of rule for when a long S should be used.Both standard "S"es and "long "S"es are used in the same book, often in the same sentence.
Tell us more about your book! What is the title, and what else does it say on the title page?
I'm not an expert on books. I just love old books, and have several pre-1800 books myself.
Hope this helps,
Rick W

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually an "S", not an "F'". It's called a "long S" and was used up until about the year 1800.
Look at one of the letters in question carefully. Look at the crossbar particularly. It's an "S" if it doesn't have a crossbar. If the crossbar is only on one side, it's an "S". If the crossbar is on both sides, it's an "F".
I don't know if there was some sort of rule for when a long S should be used.Both standard "S"es and "long "S"es are used in the same book, often in the same sentence.
Tell us more about your book! What is the title, and what else does it say on the title page?
I'm not an expert on books. I just love old books, and have several pre-1800 books myself.
Hope this helps,
Rick W[/QUOTE

The book is a KJV Bible printed in 1672. The fonts used are hard to read let alone this F vs S deal.

A neat thing is over the last few hundred years people have made notes in the margins. By doing that you can see the styles of writing change over many years.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry about the quality of the photo, had a long day and will use a real camera tomorrow. This is like the cover page. Even blurry you can read the printing date and the funny letters.

Attachments

• 160507_0002.jpg
    160507_0002.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 118

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture.Looking forward to seeing more!
Are there other illustrations besides the title page?
That's the best book you could have! I would encourage you to read it and follow it!
Rick W

yabob

Marksman
Reaction score
There was a genuine King James Bible printed in 1672. If that's what you actually have it's worth quite a bit. If not, and more
likely, it's still pretty neat to read through a copy of an old, old book, in particular if it's annotated as you say, over the years.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Imagine a time in history when the most valued possession a family owned might have been a bible. Not that bad things were not happening or that people were not suffering or being mistreated or that believers were not imperfect, but that a significant part of the population was trying to please God. Having a bible that old is awesome.

“I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers – and it was not there . . . in her fertile fields and boundless forests and it was not there . . . in her rich mines and her vast world commerce – and it was not there . . . in her democratic Congress and her matchless Constitution – and it was not there. Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great.”
Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Latest posts

Top Bottom