On the subject of morels and copperheads!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, my Dad was out gathering morels this morning, when he had an unfortunate encounter with a copperhead. Dad thought it was a scorpion sting on the back of his ankle, turned around to find a copperhead poised to strike again. He shot the snakes head off with his old busted up, glued back together, Nylon 66. He walked back to the house and Mom loaded him up and rushed him to the emergency room. They hooked him up to monitors and checked his blood levels and observed him for about six hours and then sent him home. I'd say he is a pretty tough guy, considering that he is 72 years young. I told him he wasted a bullet, as the snake was going to die, from having bit him. I guess he saved it from a horrible painful death. The morel (pun intended) of this story, even if it is a cool morning, watch out for snakes while gathering mushrooms.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That sucks, here's to no complications and a speedy recovery.... Sidenote I wouldn't have wasted one bullet.... I would have emptied the box.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tween briars, tics and snakes, ive had enough morels for the year. Now if i can fend em off long enough to call in a turkey.

Hope ur pops gets well.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't it early for snakes?

I guess I'll have to start watching around my property now that I know they are out and about.

Last summer I was cleaning up around my storage building and I reached down to pick up a stick.
It was maybe an hour before dark so the light was starting to fade where you don't see colors so well, mostly shapes and the like.

About the time I touched that stick I noticed a small copperhead, maybe a foot long, about 6 inches from my hand. :bigeye:
I grabbed a shovel from the storage building and chopped him up.
I intended to chop his head off but I missed and chopped off the back half of him and boy was he pissed.
He could still move around pretty quick strike even with half a body before I dispatched him for good.

I hate just hate snakes.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't it early for snakes?

I guess I'll have to start watching around my property now that I know they are out and about.

Last summer I was cleaning up around my storage building and I reached down to pick up a stick.
It was maybe an hour before dark so the light was starting to fade where you don't see colors so well, mostly shapes and the like.

About the time I touched that stick I noticed a small copperhead, maybe a foot long, about 6 inches from my hand. :bigeye:
I grabbed a shovel from the storage building and chopped him up.
I intended to chop his head off but I missed and chopped off the back half of him and boy was he pissed.
He could still move around pretty quick strike even with half a body before I dispatched him for good.

I hate just hate snakes.

Not this year, particularly with the wet, warm weather.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some times snakes will dry bite,no venom injection.i got bit on the hand by a copperhead in 1998, he only got me with one fang ,but my arm turned black and yellow an swelled to the point the skin almost tore. sickest i've ever been.

Latest posts

Top Bottom