On the subject of morels and copperheads!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad he is ok. I would have wet myself for sure. I don't know if I could stay calm enough to shoot the snake in the head. Your dad must be one hell of a tough old dude. It sure would have took a lot of glue to put that 66 back together after I got done using it as a club on that snake. Most snakes don't bother me the way copperheads do. They are some bad sum bucks. I grew up on a hill were they were plentiful.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't it early for snakes?

Snakes have been out for weeks now.
To the OP, your dad is lucky he is not allergic to the copperhead venom.
Most folks exibit the same symptoms as he did, as they are rarely fatal, and most of the time make one feel like crap for awhile.
When a kid, my neighbor, who was also a bad dude like your dad got bit several times by copperheads while coon hunting, and running trot lines along the river at night.
He would get sick, but always came back for more.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't it early for snakes?

I guess I'll have to start watching around my property now that I know they are out and about.

Last summer I was cleaning up around my storage building and I reached down to pick up a stick.
It was maybe an hour before dark so the light was starting to fade where you don't see colors so well, mostly shapes and the like.

About the time I touched that stick I noticed a small copperhead, maybe a foot long, about 6 inches from my hand. :bigeye:
I grabbed a shovel from the storage building and chopped him up.
I intended to chop his head off but I missed and chopped off the back half of him and boy was he pissed.
He could still move around pretty quick strike even with half a body before I dispatched him for good.

I hate just hate snakes.

Nope, wife and I saw a couple last week, one of them was a water moccasin.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine in Florida when I was stationed there got bit while playing golf one day. He said it stung but not that bad, he finished playing and went home.(He wasn't sure what bit him at the time, so he continued to play). His wife just about blew a gasket when she saw his finger. Needless to say his golf days were few and far between after that. Took him awhile for his hand to heal.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...i got bit on the hand by a copperhead in 1998, he only got me with one fang ,but my arm turned black and yellow an swelled to the point the skin almost tore. sickest i've ever been.

We had a kid who knew better pick one up once at scout camp and got bit.
Same results.

Note to everyone:
If you get bit start getting any jewelry or other constricting things off.
Or else you might lose the portion of your body past it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom