One big, dead turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTwake04

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, "turkey murder" -- errm, different style of hunting, but hey, if it works!

My favorite style tends to be falling asleep and then waking up to find them right in your lap. This is really the only way I can be patient and stay in one place for a long time. It seems to work! I just wish they would gobble more often when they some around, it would be a great alarm clock to wake up to.

Reaction score
Outstanding; that's a good beard; my top length was 9.25".

How do you guys know what they weigh before gutting? Or are you giving the after-gutting weight? I don't weigh them until I check them and they are already gutted. Do you just guestimate, and add 30% to dressed weight, like a deer, or what?

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With guts in it..

I never gut turkeys, I just breast them out and sometimes cut the drumsticks off, Wild birds just don't have enough meat to mess with.. I'll prolly catch some flack on this but hey, that my opinion..

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friday afternoon, Wizard and I headed out for some turkey hunting. There was hurricane force winds the whole time, which made my guerrilla warfare style of hunting turkeys completely useless. This morning we were cruising back to camp and spotted some turkeys out of the corner of my eye. Two gobblers and either a hen or another small gobbler. I parked over the hill about 1/4 mile away and we sneaked our way back. I popped over the hill, and this guy was about 30 yards away, so I sent some #4 shot his way, blowing apart its right wing and sending it on a full speed run for its life. I was in hot pursuit as fast as my legs can go, which is actually pretty fast, and caught up with him in a plum thicket. A second shot while we were both running nearly ripped its left wing off. Its mass of useless wings made it get stuck in the thicket, so the third shell was carefully aimed and placed perfectly into its skull.

Not the biggest one out there, but its the biggest turkey I've ever killed, and I got it on public land. Weighed at least 20-ish pounds, 10" beard and had 3/4" spurs.

[Broken External Image] [Broken External Image]

What public land were you hunting?

Latest posts

Top Bottom