One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everybody thinks KS is so great. I don't get it!!

Check this list out: http://wiredtohunt.com/2012/02/07/t...-2005-2010-entries-up-400-over-past-30-years/

KS is 8th BEHIND Kentucky, Indiana, and Missouri. Really when you look at it their stats aren't all that impressive considering their regulations and what other states have done. IMO, the only reason you hear about KS is all the damn TV shows. Right along with Iowa! Whats crazy is the #1 producing B&C state in the last 5-7yrs hardly gets mentioned on TV......WISCONSIN!! Yep, Wisconsin. Whens the last time you heard the Lee and Tiff or the Drury's headed up to WI for a hunt?........yep, media pumps and we buy it. Not to say KS isn't a good place to hunt!! I just think its overrated, mainly due to the media. Yes, undeniably they have a larger percentage .

B&C entries does not show how good a state is to hunt
Only a handful of record book bucks actually get turned into to the books anyway. Beside only 40 entries in 5 years separating 3rd -8th place, that's pretty minimal. Plus your looking at the Gun book and Kansas is a bowhunting state. This is one of the reasons I'd like to see our rifle moved Out of the rut.
Here is a little info that might surprise you...
TOP 10 P&Y STATES

1. Illinois

2. Iowa

3. Kansas

4. Wisconsin

5. Ohio

6. Indiana

7. Minnesota

8. Missouri

9. Nebraska

10. Kentucky

What's really crazy is that not very many people actually bow hunt Kansas. We (Oklahoma) have roughly just under 100k registered bow hunters each year. Kansas only has around 20k registered bow hunters. Imagine where they would be on that rifle list if they could gun hunt the rut! Iirc Wisconsin's gun season is in the rut, IOWA doesnt even have a gun season.... Ya there is more to it than a "List"

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IOWA doesnt even have a gun season....

Iowa doesn't have a gun season?? Really??

Shotguns and centerfire handguns are allowed in many of the seasons in Iowa and they allow centerfire rifles during the antlerless only season in the bottom 2 tiers.

Handguns are allowed in the following seasons:
Late Muzzleloader
Shotgun 1
Shotgun 2
Nonresident Holiday Season
Jan. Antlerless-only
Jan. Antlerless-only (bottom 2 tiers)

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The one buck limit wouldn't bother me it really wouldn't even affect me do to me not wanting to shoot little bucks and the fact that my area doesn't have many BIG bucks. I just shoot a limit of does for the freezer.

But I can say that hunters managing their own area will do more than any regulation ever could.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
here is what the list does'nt say about kans.let us take kentucky just about every 1/4 section has deer on it.kans has 1000's and 1000's of acres that do'nt hold deer,i bet if it was listed by acres that have deer on them kans would be at the top of the list and there would be a big gap between them and kentucky

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll apply for one. Been wanting to hunt the "mecca" anyway.

Ouch, man. Ouch.

I really don't have or shoot any "common" cartridges, I'm not really sure why I've never bought a .264wm. just never found one in the right rifle at the right time I guess, got nothing against it at all.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got this in an email this morn,..looks like they're seriously considering it now.

I'm all for it.

I'm tired of the hacks from Texas on the next property, who don't give a rat's #$$ about our deer herd, killing dinks and everything else that walks because he and his buddies have a handful of tags.

Then they leave and let the "Okies" spend their money on diesel, seed, fertilizer to try and repair the damaged herd they leave.

Dec. 1, 2012

A service of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

Wildlife Department to open online public comment period for regulation changes Dec. 3

Starting Dec. 3, sportsmen have the opportunity to voice their thoughts online on a list of hunting and fishing related rule change proposals.

Most notable is a proposal to change the structure of the combined season deer harvest limit to include no more than two antlered deer, with only one antlered deer allowed during deer muzzleloader and gun seasons combined. Another proposal would prohibit transporting live bait from one body of water to another in the state

"This public comment period is an important opportunity to comment on items that could lead to changes in our hunting and fishing regulations," said Nels Rodefeld, information and education chief for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. "We feel strongly that our constituents should have every chance to provide their comments, which is why we are providing an online comment form for those wanting to be heard on these specific subjects. We encourage you to provide your comments through wildlifedepartment.com anytime during the open comment period."

To view a complete listing of proposed rule changes or to complete an online comment form, log on to wildlifedepartment.com beginning Dec. 3. The online comment period will remain open until 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 11, 2013.

If comments cannot be made online, written comments will be accepted by mail until Jan. 11, 2013, at the Wildlife Department's main office in Oklahoma City (P.O. Box 53465, OKC, OK 73152).

hardinsd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you there, I dont have any pride issues checking in a 60lb yearling doe, better quality meat in the freezer is what I'm after. I also liked the idea posted above about not being able to buy that second buck tag until you've checked in a doe. Sounds like a reasonable way to get those trophy hunters to harvest a few does.

I'm against this and would like to know why , is it just to be like Kansass ? However I'm all for an Earn a Buck program. I too am tired of "trophy hunter"
and hearing " I would'nt shoot that buck" my response is " I don't mind gutting deer " or " my wife likes deer meat " .

Latest posts

Top Bottom