One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm against the one buck for ml and rifle. Not everyone bow hunts so if we want more does killed you got to get hunters in the woods. If they can't shoot a buck for rifle most won't go and shoot a doe. We should do an earn a buck tag and skip antler restrictions. If a young or new hunter wants to shoot a six pointer let them. It's a natural progression to be more selective as you grow as a hunter. Kill a doe earn a buck tag, it's a better option.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm against the one buck for ml and rifle. Not everyone bow hunts so if we want more does killed you got to get hunters in the woods. If they can't shoot a buck for rifle most won't go and shoot a doe. We should do an earn a buck tag and skip antler restrictions. If a young or new hunter wants to shoot a six pointer let them. It's a natural progression to be more selective as you grow as a hunter. Kill a doe earn a buck tag, it's a better option.

I like the idea, not sure it is fool proof but I like it ! how would this work for lifetime license holders?

OKCIS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont like it for one reason. Their reason is to promote development and rack growth expecting people not to shoot really nice young bucks to go for the older monsters. Thats a good thing although it wont happen cause id be willing to bet 80% of the people hunting deer right now dont know how to properly age a deer. Thats a whole extra subject though the main reason im against it is older spikes and deer with just horrid looking racks that need to be taken out wont ever get shot. This will end up keeping the gene pool crappy.
If they do decide to do this i hope they adopt a doe and spike season like Texas has done. If they do that then im all for it 200%

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
shouldn't they limit the non-resident hunters to 1 buck period no matter what the season is before they start putting limits on the resident hunters. I would be on board to support herd management but I think stronger limits should be put on the non okies first.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i wish they would just go with a 1 buck limit period for all deer season,the limit should be 1buck and 1doe and just charge a flat rate on hunting lic.do away with deer tags,but that will never happen because the department is all about money in our great state

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Ed Godfrey the wildlife comissioners withdrew this proposal and it is now dead.

If its true, good riddance.

If they want to see more older bucks they need to start an education campaign like they did with the does. How about: "Hunters in the know, watch'em grow!"
Let each individual hunter decide what he/she wants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom