Opinions on S&W M&P .40 or 9mm pistol for the spouse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife attended a "girls day out" gun class today and came home to tell me she wants a M&P semi-auto pistol. To date she has owned a S&W Bodyguard .380 - didn't feel right in her hand, trigger pull too long and hard plus she wanted more "bang". She currently owns a Ruger LCR 38 Special +P which she handles well. However, she wants to go back to semi-auto for self defense.

She has fired my .45ACP and my son's 40 S&W and is not intimidated by either. I have read several positive reviews on the S&W M&P pistol which was the handgun used by her instructor. Is someone on OSA using one for CCW? What is the recommendation - 9mm or 40 S&W? Other features that should be considered?

Thanks for any input.

LL

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While 40 is arguably better than 9mm for self defense purposes, 9mm gives you more capacity, cheaper ammo, and ballistically sound defense ammo options. 9mm still lacks, but it's not the same weak caliber it was 20 years ago.

I carry 9mm in warm weather. Light, and it'll get the job done. .44 Special during cold months:)

CoachR64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if she can handle the 40, the 9 is much nicer for longer range sessions. Less snap and cheaper on the wallet. With modern tech in ammo manufacturing, there is not much difference in stopping power. Follow up shots are easier for me with 9mm due to less snap and muzzle flip.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not carrying the M&P now because we just bought the 9mm and the .45 last Wednesday. My wife likes the feel of the 9mm. The .45 is a bit large for her hand. She shoots her Para 9mm and my 45's really well so she's excited to go to the range with the Smith.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With modern bullet construction, you give up virtually nothing in terms of ballistic performance with a proper 9mm loading, but you gain extra capacity. I know most people consider themselves Wyatt Earp, but the truth is, even the pros miss. I will take the reduced recoil and extra capacity any day.

Take a look at the chart results below. Remember the FBI recommends a load reach a minimum of 12" of penetration to be considered effective. Note that several of the 45 Auto cartridges don't even meet this basic minimum requirement.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Se...Documents/HandgunBulletchartaspicturerev3.jpg

Jeff Hughes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 9mm is a nice shooter. My 12y/o son runs one in USPSA and IDPA. Very shootable.

Quite soft shooting with 147 grain Federal HSTs, which are a great load...

The 3 backstap sizes are a huge plus...

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The M&P 40 can be converted to 9mm, or .357Sig, just by adding a factory drop in barrel for around $70.

The M&P 357Sig can also be converted to .40 and 9mm.

The M&P Compact can also be converted to the feel of the Full Size M&P by using a FS mag and a X-Grip.

If you have the M&P Compact with all three barrels, and the full sized mags with the X-Grip adaptor, you have six guns in one.

The versatility of the M&P is one of the reasons it is my favorite.

The M&P 9 cannot be converted to the 40/357.

Latest posts

Top Bottom