Opinions on S&W M&P .40 or 9mm pistol for the spouse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh brother! I went to Edmond Academy today to take a look at the S&W M&P 40. They had one in the case. I discussed the option to interchange the 40 barrel to 9mm with the counter guy and he said that it can't be done due to magazine issues! Any comment on that?

I also looked at the Sig Sauer Model 250 40 caliber which also offers interchangeable barrels. We even swapped 9mm magazines into the Model 250 40 caliber. The Sig mag sure seemed to fit...

LL

Most Sporting goods store help is not the best place for info.:)

The 40/357 mags work fine with the 9mm ammo, I shot a bunch of 9mm with mine.

The only issue is that sometimes the last round stays in the mag and the slide stays open like it normally would when the mag is empty.

The 40/357 mags hold two extra rounds of 9mm, so I never had an issue with it.

If it concerns you, the solution is to get a couple of 9mm mags to use.

IMHO you will be much happier with the M&P over the P250. I have owned both.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a M&P .40 fullsize I carried and competed with for over a year. Another OSA member owns it now. I do want another one. I liked it and never had an issue with it.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK - she has decided that she wants the 9mm. Smith Wesson M&P 9mm Pistol Model 209301 Now where to find it. Does any LGS or box store in OKC/Edmond area have one in the case?

Thanks.

LL

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does she want the full size or compact?
I looked up the number and see it's a full size without the safety.
Sooner State Pawn South has the M&P 9mm Compact with the thumb and magazine safety right now.
I bought the 40 full size but really wish I got the 40c since it will be my CCW.
It's still sitting in it's case waiting for accessories.
I plan to get the Storm Lake 40 to 9 conversion barrel which costs more but fits properly where the stock 9mm barrel is a little loose in the slide.
With Compact and Full size magazines and the X-Grip adapter to cover the bottom of the longer mags, I will have multiple options.
I have read and watched most reviews out there and I don't think you can go wrong with the M&P.

Last edited:

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LL,
If she's set on the 9mm then I still think she'll be happy. A friend of mine bought one and both he and his wife like it. I liked everything but the grip when I held one while gun shopping. I went with a Glock instead. I would still lean towards the .40 cal plus a barrel and mag for 9mm. That's my plan for my Glock 22 that I recently bought. I don't mind shooting .40, but I prefer 9mm. I plan to buy a new barrel and new mags soon. I like the idea of having, in a lose sense, 3 guns in one. I'll have 9mm for the range and .40 loaded up for home defense.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LL,
If she's set on the 9mm then I still think she'll be happy. A friend of mine bought one and both he and his wife like it. I liked everything but the grip when I held one while gun shopping. I went with a Glock instead. I would still lean towards the .40 cal plus a barrel and mag for 9mm. That's my plan for my Glock 22 that I recently bought. I don't mind shooting .40, but I prefer 9mm. I plan to buy a new barrel and new mags soon. I like the idea of having, in a lose sense, 3 guns in one. I'll have 9mm for the range and .40 loaded up for home defense.

Thanks for all the suggestions. She went with the M&P 40. We were looking for the 9mm, but no one locally had them in stock. Academy had the .40 at a good price (less than MSRP), so she chose that one. She likes the big grip and doesn't think recoil will be an issue. I liked it so much, I am buying one as well - so I guess we'll be "twinkies" at the range.

We have talked about 9mm for the range, because the ammo is a little cheaper locally. How long does it take to swap the barrel?

LL

Caliyanks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I have the 40c and the wife has the 9c. Our kids have the 9's as well. We all love them. But here's what I am seeing. I can get ammo for my .40 right now and I have to troll the internet everyday to look for 9mm. Luckily I did get a case of it from Cabela's last week. But, man, when things get crazy 9mm ammo was way harder to find. I'm gonna load uo on .38 as well since it was easy to get as well. Just an observation more than anything. Good luck, there all good

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes we were seeing a lack of 9mm ammo, but it is starting to show up on the shelves, if even for only a few hours... still better than 22LR. :faint:

We have accumulated a nice stash of 40 S&W ammo at reasonable prices by just trolling LGS and Academy. Glad we made the decision to go with the 40 for both of us.

LL

Latest posts

Top Bottom