Opinions on S&W M&P .40 or 9mm pistol for the spouse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got the full size 40 yesterday. I bought it because of the convertibility and 40 Seems to be the easiest caliber to find right now. When it calms down, I'll get the 9mm barrel

Drebin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got a used M&P40 a couple weeks ago. I prefer 9mm and would recommend that but I got it to give to my brother for his birthday because he wanted the .40 and I got a good deal on it. After shooting it I love it! I'll be getting one in 9mm for myself in the future but it won't replace my Glock 17.

I say 9mm for a few reasons, with modern bullets there is little ballistic difference in 9mm vs .40, it's cheaper, more in the mag, also less recoil for faster follow up shots and less fatigue during long range sessions. Plus since you shoot .45 and your son shoots .40 if your wife got 9mm it would give you a vareity of ammo options.

One thing to consider is the safetys. If she is ok with no manual safety I'd say skip it. I was unaware these guns had mag disconnect safetys till I got this one. Some have the mag disconnect some don't. I see no reason for it and would go without if given the choice but that's something you guys should decide on your own.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most will find the 9 to be easier to shoot with high end defensive ammo than a .40.
Better subsequent shots and tighter patterns.

Last edited:

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife much preferred the feel of the 9mm over .45, and we both like the lesser expense of the ammo (we shoot Steel Challenge and production IPSC, so ammo cost can add up fast!). She liked the M&P a lot, but ended up getting the Springfield XDM because it fit her hand just a bit better. The extra accessories (holster, mag holder, loader) also figured into the decision. It was a close call, to be sure -the M&P is a great pistol!

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you purchase a m&p with mag disconnect safety, and thumb safety, they can be removed easily . that way you can have the safetys to try and remove if you dont. if you buy without , i dont think you can add later. also safety is ambidextrous, if you do not need lefty safety it can be removed.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The M&P 40 can be converted to 9mm, or .357Sig, just by adding a factory drop in barrel for around $70.

The M&P 357Sig can also be converted to .40 and 9mm.

The M&P Compact can also be converted to the feel of the Full Size M&P by using a FS mag and a X-Grip.

If you have the M&P Compact with all three barrels, and the full sized mags with the X-Grip adaptor, you have six guns in one.

The versatility of the M&P is one of the reasons it is my favorite.

The M&P 9 cannot be converted to the 40/357.

Wow, this is good info. Thanks to all who have replied. My spouse is reading this and taking notes!

LL

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The M&P 40 can be converted to 9mm, or .357Sig, just by adding a factory drop in barrel for around $70.

The M&P 357Sig can also be converted to .40 and 9mm.

The M&P Compact can also be converted to the feel of the Full Size M&P by using a FS mag and a X-Grip.

If you have the M&P Compact with all three barrels, and the full sized mags with the X-Grip adaptor, you have six guns in one.

The versatility of the M&P is one of the reasons it is my favorite.

The M&P 9 cannot be converted to the 40/357.

Oh brother! I went to Edmond Academy today to take a look at the S&W M&P 40. They had one in the case. I discussed the option to interchange the 40 barrel to 9mm with the counter guy and he said that it can't be done due to magazine issues! Any comment on that?

I also looked at the Sig Sauer Model 250 40 caliber which also offers interchangeable barrels. We even swapped 9mm magazines into the Model 250 40 caliber. The Sig mag sure seemed to fit...

LL

Latest posts

Top Bottom