Opinions? S&w chiefs special 45 acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know much about them and saw one for sale and it caught me eye. What's everyones thoughts on them? I'm wanting a 3" 1911 but this seems to be a good alternative for a steel carry 45 acp. What's a good price on one of these?
Thanks

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few CS9, CS 40 and the CS45's and think they are all very nice firearms for their intended purpose. While not a match/target grade firearm, the CS45 is capable of very good accuracy if you do your part, reliability has actually been better then my Colt officer model .45 with a wider range of bullet shapes and configurations and the traditional double action seems to have a very smooth/crisp pull and release.
Although the CS45 is slightly thicker than the 1911, it weighs considerably less so it's a toss up from a carrying stand point. Also, there are no after market stocks available for the CS45, which came from the factory with Houge rubber that are slightly tacky and tend to grab your clothing. There was a man (Big Dog) on the S&W forum, who made stocks for the CS series handguns using factory third generation factory stocks. I have three sets of these and they feel and look great; the way most people feel they should have left the factory in the first place.
As for price; they are all over the board depending on geographic location, but around here I would snatch one up for around $450-$500 if it was in outstanding condition, with its original box and paper work.

Oh-well enough of my rambling...If you couldn't tell, I kind of like them! ;)

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bruce Gray at Gray Guns did a nice article on short barrels on 1911. You might want to check it out. I always wanted one until I read his opinion.

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just read the aforementioned article and found it to be quite informative.
Although I'm not a recognized writer/author; just from my limited experience with the compact semi-auto's I do shoot as opposed to those that just stay in the safe, its been found if the recoil springs are changed at approx. 2-3000 rounds, they tend to stay pretty reliable.
I began shooting the Colt Officer before starting to keep a spread sheet on round count for each of my firearms; buy a SWAG it must be nearly 20,000 rounds since having Mr. Hallock give it a few slight mods at about 5-6,000. One of my CS45's on the other hand, has only 7,850 rounds fired and has had its spring changed just twice...it probably needs to be replaced (need to keep better tabs on maintenance).
With multiple magazines, it's a bit harder to keep track of round count, but they get springs and followers replaced whenever one begins exhibiting feed issues.
Usually I attempt to fire a thousand, or two, or three... trouble free rounds before a handgun proves itself reliable for defensive use, which is why I really like revolvers and/or a good shotgun!

Latest posts

Top Bottom