Optics suggestions for Ruger American 300blk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked one of these up and have a few ideas for optics, but haven't decided outright. My budget is around $300, and I'd like to be able to get rings within that as well. My preferences are simplicity and ruggedness, which is why I have found myself considering a fixed 4 or 6 power scope. Examples including the Weaver Classic K, the SWFA SS, and Leupold FX-II come to mind. If I go with a variable power it will be a low-med power range like a 2-7, or 2.5-8. Does anyone have experience with the optics mentioned? What do y'all think of the Nikon P-300?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Given the vast difference in ballistics and trajectory between subs and supers, for .300blk it might be better to get a generic mil-dot or something.

From what I've found, .22HV and .300blk subs are "close". I have a .22 BDC Bushnell that I am going to test with my .300blk. Don't know when, but someday.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At present, this is my only centerfire rifle, so I intend to get as much use out of this as possible. The optic needs to fall in with line of thinking. A truck gun if you will. That being the case, I'm not a big fan of the duplex reticle on the Weaver, likewise with the Leupold duplex reticle. It seems the SWFA is the only one I listed with mildot reticle, and it also has 1/10 MRAD adjustments, as opposed to the usual 1/4 MOA adjustments even on mildot scopes. I had a buddy suggest the SWFA, I just haven't found one anywhere to fondle.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an FX-II on a bolt action .308 and it's just all kinds of sweet. I have a cheap 2.5x fixed scope on my .300BLK AR and it's also more than adequate. Given that .300BLK trajectory makes an even bigger rainbow than .308 while also having a shorter maximum useful range I'm not sure I really miss mil-dots or sub-MOA adjustments. FWIW, YMMV, etc. :)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not finding it, but Leupold makes a >$1000 option, as does Trijicon.

I'm thinking that Nikon P-300 looks about perfect to me. BSA has a cheap one for under $100, also. I ain't payin' over a grand on glass for a rifle that ain't a long-distance tack driver - .300AAC is a nice and versatile round, but it ain't that.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to be into the glass and rings for less than or equal to what I paid for the rifle, which is a bit less than $400. I was at academy yesterday, just looking at what they had in stock. With every variable power I picked up, I seemed to end up adjusting it to between 4-5x, maybe 6x would be too much magnification for me. It would make sense since I spent ten years looking through a 4x32 Trijicon every time I picked up a rifle. Leupold makes a 4x version of their fx-II, maybe I should look at that one....

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 300 blk wasn't made for varmint hunting at 300 yards plus.
Having said that, a 4x or maybe 2-7 would be more than adequate. Also this isn't a big kicker either. I have an older (60's) weaver 4x on mine and it serves the purpose more than well. I personally can't think of many instances where I would be shooting past 100-150 yards with that caliber. If you like the red dots, etc. They would also serve well. Get what you like and can afford....you will be the one using it....ENJOY

Latest posts

Top Bottom