Ordered me a Roku yesturday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i considered a roku, apple tv, and a few others....

What I ended up doing was just hooking a computer up to the TV permanently. Now I guess there's nothing that I cant get...

I bought a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and all is well....

the upfront cost is a little more I guess unless you have an extra PC laying around, but there are pretty much no limitations...

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
16 bucks a month you say? Is that for Hula? Good writeup here, thanks. I found a nice digital antenna to put in my attic. Amazon has it for $40 and its rated to be the best and will reach out like 60 miles to grab channels.
I currently have Direct TV and pay $90 a month for that so looking to trim that cost I hope.

The $16 is 8 dollars each for Hulu and Netflix.

We also order some shows "on demand" from Amazon. My wife likes The Glades. It's 2 bucks an episode, and she watches 1-2 a month. Still beats cable.

Your antenna should work fine. I just wired my old 1960s attic antenna to modern coax and it works fine.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have considered getting a Roku and ditching Directv. The only thing is I want to be able to watch live sports. How does that work on Roku or are you limited to watching the stuff on your local stations via digital antenna?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have considered getting a Roku and ditching Directv. The only thing is I want to be able to watch live sports. How does that work on Roku or are you limited to watching the stuff on your local stations via digital antenna?
Yes, digital antenna for local stuff is required. I think you can link a laptop to the tv and play the sports off of some of the sports websites?
not sure.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Roku XS; use it all the time! Great picture quality; easy to navigate; free iPhone app that serves as a remote control. And if you're a Netflix subscriber and haven't ever seen Breaking Bad, get busy - first four seasons are on Netflix, and are free if you're a subscriber. Best.TV.show.ever.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, digital antenna for local stuff is required. I think you can link a laptop to the tv and play the sports off of some of the sports websites?
not sure.

I watched the playoff basketball games on TNT and ESPN on my laptop. Monday Night Football from ESPN too.

Many of the channels streaming online require you to be a cable subscriber in order to view them. But since I have Cox Cable, I have never had any problem qualifying as a subscriber.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it get the discovery network of channels and what about the pay movie channels?

Understand that the Roku itself is basically a small computer, that lets you add "apps" (they call them channels) to receive content. Examples are Hulu, Netflix, MLB.tv, etc. So you can receive whatever content you subscribe to. Some apps are free, some require a monthly fee (like Netflix).

Netflix has "dvds" of many past television series available in their library.

Latest posts

Top Bottom