Outdoor long distance ranges?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've lived here in OKC for a few years and I haven't really been able to find a long distance range. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just maybe out to 500 meters max. Are there any at all within a reasonable drive from OKC? Or is this going to require a friend and private property? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKC Gun Club. They take applications all year but have a max number of new members allowed in every year. If they have not met that limit yet, you can apply and still get in this year. Applications and information is on their website.

They have a high power range out to 600yds in 100yd increments and a silhouette range out to 500m but you have to supply your own steel to shoot anything modern. High power range requires an orientation to get combination code to lock on supply shed and to shoot.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I've seen some info onc the OKC Gun Club. I'm trying to find somewhere I can go to in the near future. It sucks they have a waiting list and member limit.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking into joining OKC Gun Club. One thing I don't like about them is that for the first 2 years you have to work on the range for 1 day each year. I'm more than happy to pay for the service of using a range, but I don't want to work for the range (not even for 1 day). Doesn't make sense to me. Just take my money and leave me alone. Also, they require that you join the NRA. Call me a rebel, but I don't like people mandating what I do/do not join. I'd like to find a nice outdoor range near Moore without all the BS.

kuykendallc

Marksman
Reaction score
I was looking into joining OKC Gun Club. One thing I don't like about them is that for the first 2 years you have to work on the range for 1 day each year. I'm more than happy to pay for the service of using a range, but I don't want to work for the range (not even for 1 day). Doesn't make sense to me. Just take my money and leave me alone. Also, they require that you join the NRA. Call me a rebel, but I don't like people mandating what I do/do not join. I'd like to find a nice outdoor range near Moore without all the BS.

You don't HAVE to work a day. It's optional. They basically pay you $10/hr and discount your next year's dues by $80.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to work a day. It's optional. They basically pay you $10/hr and discount your next year's dues by $80.

That's not what their site says:

Membership dues the first year are $230 - $180 annual dues and $50 initiation fee. The first two years you are a member, you are an Associate Working Member. This means that the first two years of membership you are required to spend one day per year providing some type of work for the club. This can be anything from helping with a match on one of the ranges to cutting brush and mowing. The club has several scheduled work days during the year and the various Divisions schedule workdays for just their range. You are responsible for making arrangements and completing your workday obligation.

A list of scheduled workday events can be found here.

After you have been a member for two years, you will have an option for different types of membership:

1. Associate: What you have been for the past two years. Dues are $180.00 without a workday, or $100 with one.

2. Senior: Senior membership doesn’t have anything to do with your age. A Senior Member may hold office and may vote in elections. To become a Senior Member, you must be recommended by another Senior Member and pay a one-time fee of $100.00. You will be given a stock certificate that can be turned in should you leave the club and the $100.00 will be returned. Dues are $170.00 without a work day, or $90 with one.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember them talking about that but I don't think that is enforced. If you don't work and have your workday card signed, you don't get the $80 discount. I don't think I did a work day the first year I was a member and no one said anything. Just paid full price next year. I have done one every year since then.

I bet there are a lot of new members that don't do a work day. To be honest, there are very easy ways to get the discount. Working matches is one of them. It is not like you are working on a chain gang or anything.

It is also to help promote more membership pride and responsibility to keep the range in good working order.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been going to Lexington Wildlife Management Area. It's not bad as long as you get there before a lot of people show up. All that's needed is any hunting license(turkey is $10 for the year) and you can shoot as much as you want. The range only goes out to 100 yards though. I'd like to find something out to maybe 400-600 yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom