Overnight trip to TX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as my safety meeting at work was done on Wednesday morning, I was off the rest of this week, and I headed home and threw my gear/guns in the truck and headed a little ways west to a hunting buddies house in TX. We hit his ranch around 1430 that afternoon to make a few coyote stands. First stand, we were watching a good sized draw, and I was about to finish calling when I saw some wild hogs show up to a deer feeder about 300 yards out. I got his attention, and we got to a closer bluff and did the 1,2,3 countdown shot on the two big sows, one dropped right there and one made it about 30 yards and piled up. When we went to recover them, the small ones that were with them looked to be standing on top of one of the dead ones chewing on her! We did another countdown, and Matt got one and I got two with one shot.

Last stand of the day before dark, Matt called in a coyote on a wheatfield, this was the first coyote I've seen charge a decoy fullbore, as I don't use decoys much. Matt shot him about 10 paces from the decoy, or he would have torn it up I believe. We went and grabbed supper, picked up another guy that loves running the spotlight, and went back after dark to make some more predator sits. Second stand after dark, Matt calls in a double and gets them both killed with some great shooting at probably at least 150-200 yards.

We called another couple of coyote with no shot opportunities so we turned in for the night. Got back down there about 0730 on Thursday morning and made our first set at a big wide valley draw, with a creek in the bottom. I called for about 7 minutes and had a coyote come in hard, got him shot at about 80-100 yards. Soon as I shot, I went to pup distress on the Foxpro and with my howler, a minute or less later, I have 3 more come hauling butt in, end up getting one big male out of that group. So in less than 24 hours, we got 5 coyotes and 5 hogs killed, and I was back home by around 1400 yesterday afternoon. Good times, I am very lucky to have become acquainted with these guys and have this option available so close by.

Latest posts

Top Bottom