P-64

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bough 1 today, got a pretty good deal from the guy who owns the local funshop, came with 2 extra mags and the leather service holster they issued with it when it was the standard polish service pistol. It's been a fun little gun, shot 150rnds through it today, and never had a problem, only drawbacks were a heavy DA trigger and felt a little small in my huge hands. Was pretty accurate and kicked like a mule but overall a fun cheap gun, for $130.

Was wondering if anyone else has had 1 of these and is there anything I should watch out for on it?

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one until recently. They're good little guns, if a tad heavy, but I just wanted to get out of the DA/SA game. Is yours a triangle hammer or the earlier round hammer?

The trigger pull can be lightened with a spring set from Wolff. I replaced my hammer spring with a 19# spring, and the improvement in pull was pretty nice, although it was still pretty heavy. The lighter springs, according to other P-64 owners, may work or they may give you light strikes on hard ammo depending on your gun. They also make the single action pull way too light. I also upped the power on my recoil spring, but it made the gun harder to put back together after cleaning.

As you've probably discovered, trying to "stage" the pull on this gun is a great way to get a sprain in your hand...just put steady pressure on it from start to finish, and you don't get that massive ramp-up at the end just before the hammer breaks over.

If you want to "big up" the gun a bit, Marschal Grips makes some really well regarded wooden grips for them in a variety of styles. I was going to get some, but I talked myself out of it as their most comfortable style makes the grip almost as big as a Makarov's.

Definitely check out The Unofficial P-64 Resource for other stuff on the gun. The guys there have picked the Polish Hammer apart, and some of them are selling some pretty nice holsters now as well.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
it's the triangle hammer, and yeah it's been a good little gun, I've already put a couple hundred rounds through it, my right hand feels as if it's gonna fall off.

I've noticed though that my group on it has been better than with my 82fs. I've really been impressed with the overall performance of this thing, it's still not the prettiest gun I own, but I'd definately stack it up against most of the others in terms of quality. I don't think I'd want it any bigger, one of the reasons I bought it was because of the small profile of it, and with a carry clip, I don't have to wear clothes that are nearly as baggy to keep it effectively concealed. what's also strange is that this gun is 30 years old or older, and whoever had it before me took exceptional care of it, the original grips have been replaced with molded wood, and the finish still looks like it just came out of the box. if only this gun had a nickel finish on it, it might actually be a semi pretty piece.

It's very simple too, cleaning has been a breeze, release trigger guard, pull back, lift, clean, do the first few steps in reverse and boom your done.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked for one for several months and then I gave up on it. A week later I take a trip to Arkansas to see my uncle, go to a local gun shop, and there it is. Unfortunately I had already spent that money on something else. I kicked myself in the a$$ all the way back to Oklahoma for not being more patient.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I looked for one for several months and then I gave up on it. A week later I take a trip to Arkansas to see my uncle, go to a local gun shop, and there it is. Unfortunately I had already spent that money on something else. I kicked myself in the a$$ all the way back to Oklahoma for not being more patient.

if I decide to sale it, which is a long shot, I'll let you know first.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J&G sales still have them in their add in SGN. Good size for CC very slim but they are kinda heavy. And it's a Mak so you know it's going to bang when you need it and they are fairly accurate.

Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom