Panic Attacks...help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions here
Hang in there Bud if its not physical/psychological its time to learn to beat it
Finding out for sure its not will help
Loosing a job..Sucks, I had to give mine up, been doing it for 35 years, physical problems wont let me do it anymore...it was physical work, but I enjoyed it, it was a lifestyle
Now I work for less money and of course its less physical, lifestyle change for sure....;/
And my Wife became disabled and cant work.....see the pit yet.... ;)
Just keep chuggin, do what you can do, its all good
Prayers for You

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks twoguns. The job I had, I loved the place. I was planning on retiring there in the 20 years or so. I loved it so much, I brought my wife and son there. I'd been there a little over 10 years, feels like all my friends I knew there are just gone all at once. Like a death. It was the job that when you wake up in the morning to go, I loved going. I never had that before. Your situation sounds rough. Mine is very similar to yours without the wife issues. Keep fighting.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Things like Xanax and Ativan only make the panic attack stop, they suck for long term issues. Avoid whatever triggers you can find, seek out the stuff that makes you feel calm.

The ER docs are only going to stop your current issue, give you some advice, and send you on your way. That kind of issue just isn't what ERs are there to deal with. Get to your regular doc, tell him/her about it and start getting help. Long term help will come from counseling (whatever you like, faith based or not), cognitive therapy, and meds or any combination thereof. I've known people who had to have Librium for a few months then tapered off while they started an antidepressant. I've also known one person who was pretty well controlled on a small dose of Inderal (older guy who was on it for years).

In the long run regular maintenance of your anxiety is a lot cheaper than occasional ER visits.

All the best man.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, when they first started I didn't know what they were. They feel like you're dieing. When mine get bad, my hands, arms and feet contort from over breathing and losing too much carbon dioxide too fast. The doctors say that's the bodies self defense mechanism shutting down the extremities to protect the core. I thought I was having a heart attack, my heart was pounding so fast and hard. Now I know they don't pose an actual physical threat, I try and fight through them and not go to the ER. Those are about once a week right now while I can usually breathe through most of them. It's just taking time and focus. I just hate feeling this way, it doesn't feel like me.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there anything that relaxes you or takes your mind off things? I know something as small as biking will take my mind off of a lot of things. Maybe something like that could help you out?

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been trying to find something. The things I really live doing aren't helping. I use xbox as my escape from reality. I can usually get into the games where the real world problems don't matter, but that's not even during now. So far the only times I really feel good is when is when friends are over, but they can't always be here and I don't want to be a burden on them making them feel like they always have to be.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to find something. The things I really live doing aren't helping. I use xbox as my escape from reality. I can usually get into the games where the real world problems don't matter, but that's not even during now. So far the only times I really feel good is when is when friends are over, but they can't always be here and I don't want to be a burden on them making them feel like they always have to be.

I've lost a couple of dream jobs over the years, its tough.
reading here it seems your friends help the most. Have you tried getting out into public sporting events? HS football, basketball, etc, things that get you out with people?
Wandering around Walmart at Christmas time should entertain anybody.

It sounds like gaming and friends help the most. That occupies your brain, so does getting out among folks help any at all if they are not your circle of friends?

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excercise, get in the gym and get those good endorfins going. Watch out for sugar, too much or little sex, and keep yourself busy. Make a To Do List, get stuff done each day. Stay on a normal sleep schedule, no sleeping in all the time.

Go see a real Doc, Xanex lil tiny pills will take the edge off. I only use about 2 pills a year, take half a pill when I get too wound up. Yours sounds more severe than my mine, mine runs in the family.

Gym final answer.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think about what you are saying to yourself when the panic attack is about to hit. It might be something iike, "Oh no. I have to get out of here because....."
Instead of listening to this in your mind, find something pro active to say aloud to yourself or better yet to another person. It might be, "I feel awful without a job but I've got a lot of friends looking out for job openings for me. Something will turn up before too long."

Exercise as others have said.

Perhaps volunteer somewhere. Maybe take a low level job as a stop gap to keep you occupied and bring in a little money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom