Patience paid off!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I've gone hunting about 6 times this season so far.

1st time out with bow, no luck but saw a few.
2nd time out saw a nice buck and a doe, but no good shots.
3rd time out my friend got a nice buck and I..... forgot my rifle...doh. Could have got a doe and buck.. SUCK
4th time out I remember my rifle (yay me) my brother gets a huge buck (the one I wanted) and then gets a nice doe as well.
5th time out I see nothing at all and am getting a little disheartened about this season.
6th time out is the charm!!!!

This morning went out with the wifey and froze our butts off.

To start things off my wife was supposed to use my friends AR (first time hunting not used to any other guns). But we neglected to remember that he took it back home last night, so it was between my 30-30 and my 12 gauge for the wife. Knowing that it would be easier to shoot a scoped 30-30 than a 12 gauge with irons, I opted to take the shotty. We got to the area and in my chair at 5:45am... didn't see a single thing until around 8:00am.

I hear some noise directly in front of me about 65 yards away. I see this little feller come springing down the hill side heading parallel to me. He doesn't slow down much so I decided to give it a try. I level off and squeeze one down range. Miss! He takes off running as I pump another one down range. MISS! By this time I'm getting pissed but there is a light at the end of the tunnel....he stops at 70 yards and turns broadside. I level off and send one more his way.... HE DROPS IMMEDIATELY!! I'm stoked!

ai528.photobucket.com_albums_dd323_jwhitney1320_100_0038.jpg

It turns out that I gave him a neck shot at exactly 70 yards! Not too shabby for iron sights on a Rem 870 (when he stands still)!

I gather my composure and turn to check on the wife who is sitting ~50 yards behind me. I give her the thumbs up and she acknowledges one back.

So I'm sitting there thinking, wow, at least God gave me one to take home, I can deal with that!

About 45 minutes later I see something through the brush to my left. I look closer and see that it's a deer (not sure about sex). I get the shotty ready and begin to raise to eye level. I, for some reason, decide to look to my right and see this beauty! He's walking towards me at an angle. At about 50 yards I level off on him and squeeze. He jumps and then takes off like a bat out of hell! He runs off into the woods and I figure that I missed just like the first one, although I was pretty sure I made a clean shot.

After a few more minutes I decided that enough was enough and to call it a day. The wifey comes over and asks if I got the second one. I tell her that I wasn't too sure but we could check the area for any blood trail. Sure enough there's a blood trail where I expected to see one. We followed it for about 100 yards to his final resting place.

ai528.photobucket.com_albums_dd323_jwhitney1320_100_0032.jpg

I'm pretty impressed since it's only my second and third deer ever!

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not a legal buck. It will count as a doe.
Congrats on the double! Plenty of backstrap for the freezer!:D

Bet your truck looks like a crime scene now:D:D

Yeah we just got the freezer yesterday too!!

HAha, not really about the crime scene... I loaded both into the back of the SUV with a tarp down to prevent spillage.

I'll tell you what, it was NOT fun having to haul that big buck 60+ yards uphill to the vehicle....

and then turn around and haul the other 100+ yards.....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah we just got the freezer yesterday too!!

HAha, not really about the crime scene... I loaded both into the back of the SUV with a tarp down to prevent spillage.

I'll tell you what, it was NOT fun having to haul that big buck 60+ yards uphill to the vehicle....

and then turn around and haul the other 100+ yards.....

Your exactly right. Its a pain. I think it was Ridgerunner, that had a thread on here where they uses some of the deer sleds that are a sheet of plastic to drag them on and also posted a pic of a wheeled deer cart to haul them out on.
I highly recommend them both.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was me with the sled, it's in the 2010 success thread on page 17 if you want to dig up me and 264 talking about sleds.

And we have to drag them a little more than 60 yards. C'mon...60 yards?:D

Nice deer, well done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom