PD Openings in Ponca City

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dave Dvorak was a state trooper as I remember in Major County? He had arms bigger than my thighs. He didn't need a trigger on any gun he just squeezed the boooolits out.
I remember Trooper Rodney Burks from OHP back in the 1980’s. He played football at OU. Huge is the only word that described him.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just saw the pay.

$45K ? Oh Hell no.

Same old small town BS pay. I'll just bet they have old hands that will have to train these guys making less than new hires. :hellno:
I’d still take it over being an Oklahoma teacher. At least the police get respect from most of the public. Being a teacher here is even more thankless, you catch hell from every end, get no credit, and take all the blame...oh and did I mention the pay is worse.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d still take it over being an Oklahoma teacher. At least the police get respect from most of the public. Being a teacher here is even more thankless, you catch hell from every end, get no credit, and take all the blame...oh and did I mention the pay is worse.
You have to think though in LE about 90% of all the situations you are involved with is a negative situation. And 100% of all encounters there is at least 1 gun because you brought it there.

We had a saying

We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to think though in LE about 90% of all the situations you are involved with is a negative situation. And 100% of all encounters there is at least 1 gun because you brought it there.

We had a saying

We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
That sure hits pretty close to home, but it’s the truth. You really have to dig deep to find the strength to gut it out in the worst situations, all while maintaining a steady level of professionalism. I’m sure that working in LE for any extended period of time can make your opinion of society take a dip when 90% of the situations you’re dealing with are negative. But if nothing else, you find out a lot about yourself and what you’re made of. If you know you can handle the worst situations, then bad situations don’t seem quite as bad.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't fool yourselves, guys. All that stress to be perfect at everything and never make a mistake in situations that others created creates a psychological tension that WILL crack from time to time. I couldn't be a cop -- not in gazillion years. It's tough enough being a cop's wife.

Don't get me wrong -- I love Grumpy and he has provided me a lifestyle and measure of emotional and financial security no one else I've ever known has. On top of that he loves me -- even with my multitude of character flaws. 😬

But when he came in the door for several of the last years before his retirement, he was no fun to be around. It was amazing the change in him when we went down to retirement to turn in his paperwork. It was the old Grumpy again -- and I, for one, was really happy to see him! 😁😂

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't fool yourselves, guys. All that stress to be perfect at everything and never make a mistake in situations that others created creates a psychological tension that WILL crack from time to time. I couldn't be a cop -- not in gazillion years. It's tough enough being a cop's wife.

Don't get me wrong -- I love Grumpy and he has provided me a lifestyle and measure of emotional and financial security no one else I've ever known has. On top of that he loves me -- even with my multitude of character flaws. 😬

But when he came in the door for several of the last years before his retirement, he was no fun to be around. It was amazing the change in him when we went down to retirement to turn in his paperwork. It was the old Grumpy again -- and I, for one, was really happy to see him! 😁😂
I think I have told this before. When I retired after 20, I was making $8.10 per hour in 1995. I was training guys that came in making $10. I loved the job, I loved the guys, I hated the legal system and the city fathers that kept creating circumstances where you could never get a raise. For years it was promised but never given, Cost of living at the end of the year maybe, MAYBE! Then they decided to have a merit based system with yearly evaluations. It also came down from on high that no one in the entire city would get raises so they had to make the eval's fit. Have you ever not screwed up within a year?

I quit and had a temp employment business going in two cities so I was making a good paycheck. But, my paycheck depended upon my people I placed going to work. When I can make it 90 miles one way to my other office and they cannot even walk across the street? I was looking for another job.

I got hired knowing nothing about the alarm systems but was making $16 to start. I sent a copy of my new paycheck to the chief who laughed when I retired and threw my 20 year pin at me. Cheap gold and a fake diamond. Cheapskates!

Anyway the alarm gig turned out really well. I got to work for a national company nobody had heard of but we had the Fortune 100 companies as clients and did airports, shipping docks major hospitals, Wildlife preserves, military bases, you name it. It got to where I was alone handling the service calls in two states and had been requested by name several times by VP's to get on chartered airplanes and go fix something nobody else could.

Tooting my horn here....

I tried retiring this time I was sitting at home. Then the demonrats stole the election and we have 9.1% inflation..

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

almost like others have said; no one should do that job for more than 10 years. there should literally be a MAXIMUM amount of policing you can do; it obviously affects your mental state.

i would LOVE to see if "angry" police are more likely to arrest, assault, maim, or kill.

Cdubya

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
almost like others have said; no one should do that job for more than 10 years. there should literally be a MAXIMUM amount of policing you can do; it obviously affects your mental state.

i would LOVE to see if "angry" police are more likely to arrest, assault, maim, or kill.
I had former police acquaintance who said his job is basically being lied to by 90% of the people he comes into contact with. And he readily admitted that was a detriment to his personal relationships with friends and family.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i mean i feel the same thing for most professions. burn outs are a HUGE elephant in the room. how do you think medical errrors kill almost 300k per year? it's easy to stop caring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom