Pearl Harbor Cyber Attack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is why they are calling it "Pearl Harbor":

Some of the data exposed was from the background investigations of people with security clearances, collected with Standard Form 86. This form is nearly 150 pages long, and it collects everything - where you’ve lived, where you’ve worked, who you know. For high-level clearances, it is then supplemented with a background investigation that looks at your credit, your potential police record, and interviews with people whom you identified on the form, and other people who show up by being connected to those people.

The investigation is a beast. I had one in the early ’80s, and I got phone calls for months asking if I knew the “FBI” was asking questions about me.

Usually when someone in the press has their hair on fire, I write about how the excitement is being exaggerated. But this time I can’t: this hack is a real problem.

There are a number of articles out there about how serious it is; I’ll let them explain it if you’re interested, as I find it too depressing. Basically, the Chinese - if it was the Chinese - now have the name, address, phone number, Social Security number, bank account information, and personal history of everyone who has a current security clearance, and everyone who had such a clearance for a good long while into the past.
http://pjmedia.com/blog/read-how-an...ith-maybe-the-most-damaging-hack-of-all-time/

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The U.S. government has lost my PII data so many times now that I can't even bring myself to get worked up about it anymore. IF, something happens, I'll deal with it. If not, I didn't lose any sleep over it.

I hear you - it's a bad thing from an individual federal employee point of view

But the bigger picture is that the Chinese can now blackmail large numbers of federal employees in sensitive positions. They spilled their deepest darkest personal secrets to get their security clearance and now the Chinese have that highly embarassing information- martial infidelity etc.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im hearing this breach goes back to 1990 or so for anyone who had or applied for a security clearance with any .gov agency. Im thinking that has to be more than the 14 million or so number being quoted.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The U.S. government has lost my PII data so many times now that I can't even bring myself to get worked up about it anymore. IF, something happens, I'll deal with it. If not, I didn't lose any sleep over it.

That's kind of where I'm at. Happened so many times, it's just meh.

I'd like to follow the money trail of the $20m identity protection contract that was bid out and awarded so quickly though. Bet there's some cronyism going on there.

I haven't received my official notification with my enrollment details yet (supposed to be delivered by the 19th) and the hotline number for CSID (that they gave out for those who might be affected but haven't received login cress yet) has a 90 minute wait time. I bet this will be real quality service like that received by "Identity Force" the last time around.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear you - it's a bad thing from an individual federal employee point of view

But the bigger picture is that the Chinese can now blackmail large numbers of federal employees in sensitive positions. They spilled their deepest darkest personal secrets to get their security clearance and now the Chinese have that highly embarassing information- martial infidelity etc.

Well my file is pretty boring, so they got nothing there.

That's kind of where I'm at. Happened so many times, it's just meh.

I'd like to follow the money trail of the $20m identity protection contract that was bid out and awarded so quickly though. Bet there's some cronyism going on there.

I haven't received my official notification with my enrollment details yet (supposed to be delivered by the 19th) and the hotline number for CSID (that they gave out for those who might be affected but haven't received login cress yet) has a 90 minute wait time. I bet this will be real quality service like that received by "Identity Force" the last time around.

Lol, yeah, I ain't holding my breath!

Latest posts

Top Bottom