Phoenix Arms HP 22A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRandP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own one, not that I admit that openly. The gun itself is a good weight and easy to hold. The recoil is next to non-existent. The first time I shoot it I did think it went off. The accuracy is about what you'd expect for a small barreled pistol. Don't expect it make amazing groupings just average. The big issue I have is reliability, not that it is horrible, but I wouldn't trust it as a self defense gun.

Also the safety situation is a real PITA. The gun has 2 safeties. One slide stop and one hammer block if either is on safe the gun won't fire. Also the slide stop MUST be on safe before you can drop a mag.

They are a real pain to field strip as well. I've gotten to the point where I just wipe it down and use a brush and cleaning pad on the barrel.

Look around on the internet, but $125 seems about right for a new one. I would think twice before I bought one used at all no matter the price.

If you are looking for a gun to teach someone to shoot or practice yourself then it would probably fit the bill. Just don't ask to do anything extraordinary and you should enjoy the weapon.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a sneaking interest in these things. I have heard them described as the only sorta-decent gun to come out of the "Ring of Fire" companies in Cali (Jennings, Lorcin, Raven, etc.).

Gun Tests magazine reviewed the Phoenix HP22A back in 2007 and gave it high marks. They said it had some weird controls but shot well and was a good gun for the price.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own one and just was out shooting it earlier today.

Here's the good stuff --- The gun itself is buckets of fun, groupings are not bad, and you can plink away all day long without spending nearly anything. It'll eat CCI, Federal, Golden Bullet, whatever you put in it.

Here's the bad stuff --- It does have the occasional "brass stuck in the slide" syndrome. No worse than any other low end 22 that I've ever shot though. The safety's are a super big PITA, but about 5 minutes of work and every one of them can be defeated without making the gun "unsafe" if that makes sense.

My main problem is that I've gone through two magazine release buttons. After I bought it (used) it came off after about 200 rounds. I ordered a new one ($10.50 shipped) and put it on (apparantly badly) and it came off again after 20 rounds. It sits on there in a funky manner. I came across this thread because I was searching on the forums for someone that might work on them.

Final thoughts:

For $124 NEW (http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/Items-5886-4-handguns.aspx?Order=1&Sort=189) I think it's worth it. I'm going to repair mine (hopefully doing a better job this time) and keep shooting it. If you were looking for a self defense weapon rather than a plinker I'd say to look at a Ruger LCP or something of that nature.

Cheers

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Odered the 5" barrel for mine, both barrel are very accurate for a pistol in this price range.

Shooting mine at Crow Bridge in Oilton the recoil spring came out the frount of the slide. Called the factory and asked for a new one, they sent 3 got them in 4 days.

Have read the frame cracks at around 4000rds, mine has cracked at around 1500rds. Noticed tha mag was started to get harder to pull out. still shooting it a little.

Have a buddy that has sold a lot of them most problems are the little saftey on the slide, then the mag catch breaks.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently picked up the HP22A Deluxe Rangemaster kitfor about $220. It comes with a locking case, magazine lock, 2 mags, cleaning kit, a Phoenix Arms patch, 3" and 5" barrel.

I have put over 900 rounds through it in the last 2 weeks and am very happy. If you do some research, it seems that Phoenix Arms is very good about supporting their lifetime warranty even for purchaser's of used guns. You can wear them out and Phoenix Arms will replace them.

The safeties are a mild nuisance. At the range it isn't really a problem. If I was going to carry a .22lr semi auto as CCW then I would definitely remove them as I don't need the mag safety getting in the way of dropping a mag or clearing the slide. If I was going to carry a .22lr semi auto as CCW I would use my HP22A as it appears to more reliable than many .22lr.

It has had no problems eating any ammo I have thrown at it. That includes Rem GB, Fed bulk, Win Super X bulk, Rem Subsonics, Rem Target, CCI Velocitors. I actually prefer the Win Super X.

Latest posts

Top Bottom