The Barn Find 1955 Bel Air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello OSA-

I've been away from the forum for quite some time but my brother dlbleak suggested I start a thread on a project the we happened into recently. Our dad passed away earlier this month and my wife and I were in my hometown checking in on mom. A friend of mom's stopped by the house and mentioned that a friend they have in common had sold her house but had an old car she needed to get out of a lean-to behind the house. When she told us what the car was and the amount the owner was looking to get out of we were quite interested. An hour before that we were definitely NOT looking for a project car.

This will be pic heavy and the photos are large.

So this is the car. The last time it was inspected and tagged was 1973.
IMG_7760.JPEG

The interior has held up surprisingly well and the original hubcaps are the in the rear seat. Floorpans are solid and the trunk is not rusted out.
IMG_7758 (1).JPEG

IMG_7757.JPEG

Dlbleak, myself, and my wife dug the car out, put it on some 90s Camaro-ish wheels and tires just to get it pulled out of its decades old cocoon.
IMG_7845.JPEG

Loaded it up on the trailer with the welcomed assistance of a winch. If you haven't used U-Haul's auto transport trailer before they have some handy features.
IMG_7854.JPEG

America!

IMG_7878 (1).JPEG

Thanks to some of my favorite YouTubers (especially Vice Grip Garage), we got after the car with SOS pads, CLR, Scotch Brite, rubbing compound, polishing compound, and wax. Not 100% sure what we'll do yet but we'll most likely clear coat the car. We don't plan to paint it but rather preserve the existing paint including dings, scratches, etc.

Here's some comparison photos that have transpired in the past week or so. The bottom photo was taken around 36 hours after the top photo.
IMG_7955.JPEG

IMG_8002.JPEG

More on the next post.

Last edited:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_8036.JPEG

IMG_7534.JPEG

As far as we know the car has had 2 owners before us. At some point the original 265 was replaced by a 283. It appears someone was in the process of changing out the water pump and never finished but the engine currently doesn't turn. I have the cylinders full of Marvel Mystery Oil and ATF, hoping it will free things up and that there isn't existing engine damage. The transmission is a Powerglide. Various animals have made the engine compartment home over the years but surprisingly the interior doesn't have any rodent damage. The original oil bath air cleaner is in the trunk.
IMG_7798.JPEG

IMG_8010.JPEG

I am definitely not an expert of tri-fives but fortunately have a buddy with a '55 four door that is pretty much a daily driver for him. My wife and I are pinching ourselves that this car is real and feel like we've won the lottery. :patriot:

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice barn find for sure.
Clear coat will eventually peel and flake off unless you sand the paint underneath to allow it to bite in and hold.

I would not do that.
That car may have Acrylic Lacquer paint on it and it will last a long time if you keep it clean and in the shade when storing it.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice barn find for sure.
Clear coat will eventually peel and flake off unless you sand the paint underneath to allow it to bite in and hold.

I would not do that.
That car may have Acrylic Lacquer paint on it and it will last a long time if you keep it clean and in the shade when storing it.
Great tip! Our main goal is preservation of what’s left of the paint.

Latest posts

Top Bottom