Pig Bomb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a place on Bumcomb Creek, any place around there that would be a good place to get a few hogs. Would be nice to get around to some new hog territory while getting in some good fishing.

Not very familiar with the Buncombe Creek area. Checking it on Google Maps it looks like the public use area where the creek comes into the lake would be a good place to start. Espicially around those backwater pools away from the creek. Looks to be pretty dense area from the satellite image. Just remember if its Corps land, you're going to be restricted to shotgun with pellets or archery equipment on Texoma.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big boars taste decent if you cut the throat and start bleeding as soon as you get to it. Be ready to clean very quickly, under an hour from the time you take the shot to in the coolers on ice is the best. Then after you have it quartered on ice, take a big bottle of lime juice and cover all the meat with it to let it sit for a day or two before finishing and freezing.
You can then marinade the meat in a nice vinegar based brine/jerk a day before cooking. All the gamely taste will be gone.

Cutting the throat of a dead animal does not remove very much blood at all. It used to be an article of faith that you had to cut the throat of a newly killed deer, but check out the current info on that. Once the heart stops, nothing will move the blood, hence very little benefit.

The other things you are doing are quite effective.

Back to the "Pig Bomb." I watched it. Everybody seems to want to believe that persons unknown have inserted Russian Boar stock into the feral pig population. I think what's happening is that natural selection is resulting in wild pigs better suited for survival, hence bigger, longer snout, bigger tusks, etc.

When a pig gets loose from captivity the tail will straighten out within less than two months, and the hair gets longer and more coarse. This isn't natural selection, just adaptation to a new environment.

The show crammed 30 minutes of information into an hour, which is typical of this sort of documentary. Notice how much repetition of video footage there was?

Still, people need to know about the new dangerous game in the US. CB

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think you can judge a boar on size for the quality or taste of the meat. I have trapped some 200+ lb boars that were fine fare, and had some less than 100 lbs that stank to high heaven. Being that pigs breed year round, they don't really have a rut, so I don't know exactly what causes that aroma that is most unpleasant. Some have it, some don't. If it doesn't stink, I'll yank the straps and hams, regardless of size. If it does stink, it goes to the buzzards. Don't toss one just because it is big, use your nose as the judge, it won't be hard to tell a good one from a bad one.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cutting the throat of a dead animal does not remove very much blood at all. It used to be an article of faith that you had to cut the throat of a newly killed deer, but check out the current info on that. Once the heart stops, nothing will move the blood, hence very little benefit.

The other things you are doing are quite effective.

Back to the "Pig Bomb." I watched it. Everybody seems to want to believe that persons unknown have inserted Russian Boar stock into the feral pig population. I think what's happening is that natural selection is resulting in wild pigs better suited for survival, hence bigger, longer snout, bigger tusks, etc.

When a pig gets loose from captivity the tail will straighten out within less than two months, and the hair gets longer and more coarse. This isn't natural selection, just adaptation to a new environment.

The show crammed 30 minutes of information into an hour, which is typical of this sort of documentary. Notice how much repetition of video footage there was?

Still, people need to know about the new dangerous game in the US. CB

I never cut the throat of any hogs I kill for the very reason you stated. I do bleed the meat out on ice for about 5 days before I pack for freezing.

I definitely believe theres natural selection and evolution going on in the hog populations around the country. However it wouldn't surprise me that people would be releasing European or russian boars into the wild or them escaping from a game ranch. A look into the classifieds in Boar Hunter Magazine and you can readily see any number of game ranches offering hunts for these exotic boar. Also, there's a great article in the July/August 2010 issue of Boar Hunter Magazine on the history of hogs in the U.S.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think you can judge a boar on size for the quality or taste of the meat. I have trapped some 200+ lb boars that were fine fare, and had some less than 100 lbs that stank to high heaven. Being that pigs breed year round, they don't really have a rut, so I don't know exactly what causes that aroma that is most unpleasant. Some have it, some don't. If it doesn't stink, I'll yank the straps and hams, regardless of size. If it does stink, it goes to the buzzards. Don't toss one just because it is big, use your nose as the judge, it won't be hard to tell a good one from a bad one.

You should be the expert on that one.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by the straight tail, i've had some pigs born with straight tails from show stock...

They will turn wild on you in a hurry though, that's for sure. I used to let some sows free range in 80 acres and they turn burly in no time

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a whole bunch of wild hog from my daughter's boyfriend one time. It looked fantastic. It tasted like crap. Not skanky, gamey or bad. Just nasty. It tasted like it was soaked in musty water and no amount of seasoning would get rid of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom