Pig for the Pot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a new 3,000 acre ranch to hunt on and saw some pigs on it night before last. Wasn't in my vehicle, so I didn't have the appropriate tools to make a stalk. Went back last night and quickly located the pigs. I was upwind of them, so I had to make about a half mile walk to get downwind and in a place that had cover... the pigs were out in the wide open. By the time I made all the way back around, the pigs had moved down to a treeline and started going into the brush. At 40 yards I had a easy shot at a couple, but all I could see were their backs sticking out of the grass, and they appeared to be kinda small, so I held off and tried to get in front. They were making plenty of noise in the brush, so it was easy to reposition myself and I had a nice steady wind in my favor. Got set down with the setting sun to my back and good crosswind and I spy a couple bolting out of the brush in front of me. I wait for the sow to get about 30 yards and pull the trigger, see blow out on the far side so I know she's goin down. I catch movement from the other pig and he is running straight at me. I'm pretty sure he wasn't charging, just didn't know where shot had come from and was trying to get away. It was enough to make me rush the shot a little, but at 15 yards I made him change his mind about which way he should go. Saw the bullet go in his chest, but must have been a bit high, cause he had enough left to run for the brush. Got the truck and loaded the sow. I don't know how much she weighed, but I know it was my limit for loading by myself. They need to start breedin pigs with handles on them. Trailed the boar down to the bottom of the draw to a big thicket and heard him in there grinding them cutters and gruntin a little. It was nearly dark and I wasn't bout to go in there after a wounded pig, so he made supper for the coyotes. Sow got donated to a family and will not go to waste.

[Broken External Image]

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice story! I need to find a place to hunt for pigs!

Did you take it to a butcher to have it processed and donated or just took the hog to someone who needed the meat? Just curious...

Either way...that is really nice of you to do that!

Latest posts

Top Bottom