Pig Popping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love it! I would do that! When I was a kid, I saved a magazine article about a fellow who shot jack rabbits with his .458 Win Mag. Also had pics of him shooting the .458 one-handed. That's probably one of the reasons I just had to have a .458 when I 'grew up.' That, and my fascination with Africa and Cape Buffalo.

I have a buddy that knows a guy who takes his .458 on Prairie dog shoots.

When they get shy, he shoots them through the mound.

Wish he would set up video.

We have had hogs come through my property one night. Shot 3 and they haven't been back. 2 miles from river, too far to move, they stay with the river.

Great videos. Never shot thermal. Looks like fun.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever tried any bullets from Cutting Edge Ballistics or Hammer Bullets?

I have not. Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles and I were just talking about Hammer bullets yesterday. His daughter took a buck at 170 yards this youth season, and the devastation to the heart was amazing (he had photos obviously).

The problem I'm running into now is that I'm running into fewer pigs to shoot around here. Most of the properties I hunt have had a good drop-off in rooting activity (success!). So I have a boatload of other bullets that I wanted to see how they'd perform...but they are mostly collecting dust. At this point, I'd not buy anything new simply because it will take 2+ years to get around to shooting. I'm stocked up on pig supplies for the remainder of my life as it is.

I had delusions that I was going to be some sort of prime time hog hunter when I got into this. That was not the case 😄.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have not. Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles and I were just talking about Hammer bullets yesterday. His daughter took a buck at 170 yards this youth season, and the devastation to the heart was amazing (he had photos obviously).

The problem I'm running into now is that I'm running into fewer pigs to shoot around here. Most of the properties I hunt have had a good drop-off in rooting activity (success!). So I have a boatload of other bullets that I wanted to see how they'd perform...but they are mostly collecting dust. At this point, I'd not buy anything new simply because it will take 2+ years to get around to shooting. I'm stocked up on pig supplies for the remainder of my life as it is.

I had delusions that I was going to be some sort of prime time hog hunter when I got into this. That was not the case 😄.
I haven’t used them myself but they do seem to be devastating.

I hear ya lol. Feral pigs are a blessing to guys who love to hunt them and a curse to everything and everyone else.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive got a 6.5 grendel as well, and our local Atwood’s store had hornady eld Match bullets for $23/box. I bought a few boxes and brought them home to see how they short in my gun. It likes them, so I bought 8 more boxes. I figured that was way too cheap to leave behind.

Have you whacked any pigs with the eld bullets? I may have to do some experimenting as well, and maybe even remember to hit record.

Latest posts

Top Bottom