Pilots named in Asiana flight 214 crash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will the days of journalistic integrity ever return? I miss Walter Cronkite. I may not have agreed with everything he stood for, but he did a good job of reporting the facts, not the hype IMO.

American Society of Newspaper Editors (founded in 1922) Canons of Journalism:

Responsibility (of newspaper and journalist)
Freedom of the Press (“a vital right of mankind”)
Independence (fidelity to the public interest)
Sincerity, Truthfulness, Accuracy (good faith with reader)
Impartiality (news reports free from opinion or bias)
Fair Play, Decency (recognition of private rights, prompt correction of errors)

And from the Society of Professional Journalists:

Seek Truth and Report It
Minimize Harm
Act Independently
Be Accountable

Last edited:

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Media "personalities" just read what is written on their teleprompters or what ever device they use, they want people to see them as trustworthy and factual, but most don't have a clue or any subject knowledge of what they report on. It's always evident when they report on any gun control issues, they don't even know what they say is not correct, they just say it anyway.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I miss Walter Cronkite. I may not have agreed with everything he stood for, but he did a good job of reporting the facts, not the hype IMO.
You mean like his reporting on the Tet Offensive, and how it was a loss for the US, despite the fact that it broke the back of the Viet Cong as a fighting force and they didn't hold anything that they overran? That Walter Cronkite?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And that news anchors do nothing more than just read from a prompt. No thought process at all.
I was watching Fox News when the Columbia broke up on reentry. Shep Smith was reading short biographical sketches on the crew members, and all was going well until he got to Kalpana Chawla, when the bit he read was about how she had screwed the pooch on a previous mission. Not long after that (within 30 minutes, IIRC), he stopped the broadcast to apologize for reading that on the air.

At least the Fox News crew had the excuse of covering breaking news and having to scramble to find information; the people writing the story about the pilot names should have applied some critical thinking, NTSB Intern Authority Applied or not. Wi Tu Lo? Really? You couldn't recognize that one?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was watching Fox News when the Columbia broke up on reentry. Shep Smith was reading short biographical sketches on the crew members, and all was going well until he got to Kalpana Chawla, when the bit he read was about how she had screwed the pooch on a previous mission. Not long after that (within 30 minutes, IIRC), he stopped the broadcast to apologize for reading that on the air.

At least the Fox News crew had the excuse of covering breaking news and having to scramble to find information; the people writing the story about the pilot names should have applied some critical thinking, NTSB Intern Authority Applied or not. Wi Tu Lo? Really? You couldn't recognize that one?

What was the name of the Chinese fighter pilot who collided with the American surveillance plane in 2001? [9/11 knocked this out of the news]

His name was Wong Wei. Get it? Truth is at least as strange as fiction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom