Piston upper on my lower.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I been thinking about a new gun for some time. After I kicked rock at the gun shop over a year ago I got away from guns. I did not sale off any of my safe queens but just did not buy any or shoot any. The bike has been put up for some time and starting to look at guns again. I was thinking about buying a new piston AR. More I think about it, I think I want just a upper. One to go on my full auto lower. I also thought about a belt upper but after looking around I just don't think I want to get into that .

I see Colt has the 6940P gun and looked into that for just the upper but no telling when that will be out. That do you all think would be a good piston upper?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree piston is overhyped because its the latest and greatest. Relaly its just different, it has its pros and cons just like DI.

I would say look at the Ruger SR556 uppers, I believe they are piston operated. I havent heard anyone say they have had an issue with one. LWRCi are supposed to be nice piston guns but I have heard multiple people having issues with springs failing earlier than most would agree is acceptable.

Bear88SS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get down to OKC and want to put a Ruger upper on it let me know! But the piston + heavy barrel + thick quad rail = HEAVY for a fun gun.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am sold on Piston Uppers i have four Adams Arms AR's and love them not one problem with anyone of them and they are not heavy, they are very accurate and run very clean as well. No one will ever convince me that they are over rated or not worth the price, also shooting Wolf Ammo not one problem like with DI 16 in guns.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lots of opinions on this subject.
After researching piston uppers for a couple years I bought a PWS/ADDAX piston upper a few years back. One of few that is actually designed to tie the carrier to the drive rod, which rides in a guide tube that helps prevent carrier tilt. Still one of the best designs in my opinion. Also has different gas settings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom