Pitfalls of chambering a round for CCW (wear/tear issues)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been wondering about the wear and tear or perhaps increased FTE possibility of repeatedly chambering rounds then clearing a weapon for cleaning/storage, etc then re-chambering the round, and so forth.

I couldn't find anything specific on the few ammunition manufacturer sites I checked - am wondering if any here has done research into this subject.

NOTE: This thread is NOT about debating the merits of carrying chambered versus carrying non-chambered it is strictly about any possible reliability or wear issues.

Last edited:

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in my LEO days, we never placed the round from clearing back in the top of the mag. I did periodically move it down in the mag, but there is a strong chance that repeatedly chambering the same round will cause bullet setback in the case. This can and will usually cause feeding problems and with some ammo will jack the pressure quite a bit. After being counseled by my CLEET instructor during qualification, I started removing that round and putting it in a box to be used for practice. I might have reused the bullet for a long time without problems, but it only takes one time for it to be one time too many. Blitzfike

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in my LEO days, we never placed the round from clearing back in the top of the mag. I did periodically move it down in the mag, but there is a strong chance that repeatedly chambering the same round will cause bullet setback in the case. This can and will usually cause feeding problems and with some ammo will jack the pressure quite a bit. After being counseled by my CLEET instructor during qualification, I started removing that round and putting it in a box to be used for practice. I might have reused the bullet for a long time without problems, but it only takes one time for it to be one time too many. Blitzfike

That sounds like something that Glen McIntyre would say.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is checking the round by simply stacking it next to fresh ones sufficient a check for setback?

The other issue that comes to mind is that since the setback occurs in the chamber - everything will look fine, at least before it happens the first time, and I (the user) would have no idea until after I remove it without having fired it and check it physically.

Please excuse my ignorance but is setback something that is only likely to occur after multiple re-chamberings?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would tend to think that the crimp that is put on defense loads would prevent setback. I've never seen any of my self defense loads with any setback after numerous chamberings. But it wouldn't hurt to rotate the chambered round or set it aside. You always should practice with and ensure reliability with your defense loads so there is a need for using some of it up.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll chamber a round around a half a dozen times and then chunk it in the range bag. If I'm going on a trip or something and expect to have to unload very often, I carry a revolver.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the habit of rotating my carry magazines every month or so - to prevent the spring from "setting" don't know if that is really necessary but it gives me something to do.
I also tend to fire off the carry ammo en masse every 6-12 months and then replace/reload the carry magazines.
However, I do unload and clear my carry weapon each night and keep a separate, very particular weapon on the nightstand.

Maybe I am generating my own problem?

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Repeated rechambering of the same round will also pack the powder causing a difference in the performance between that round and the next.

I would not worry about it until after more than a few dozen rechamberings of the same round, but something to consider if you do rechamber the same round a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom