Place to get scrap steel or iron?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where is a good place to get scrap steel or iron in the OKC area?

I need several text book sizes 1/8" thick up to whatever.

Free is best :-), cheap is ok.

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try one of the places that does laser or plasma cutting. Steel Thinking is a laser-cutting company in Washington that I've dealt with.You might call them and ask what they do with their scrap.
Hope you find some!
Rick

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been curious about getting scrap too... what's the best way to approach it? I'd hate to pay too much and certainly would be happy with free although I can't imagine many places give it away.

Is there somewhere that you can find the going rate for what they'd get if they hauled it off for scrap?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the section of the newspaper that deals with stocks...usually has the prices for copper, aluminm,,,etc...I think scrap is going for about $100 a ton or so.
Most scrap yards would be fairly cheap if not free , you may have to find a way to cut it to sizes specific to your needs.
if your looking for targets ,I usually pick pipe , 4-6" up of the jobsights weld a piece of chain to it and you have a decent Gong.
dont know what your using it for , hope that helps

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think scrap is going for about $100 a ton or so.

Most scrap yards will not sell you their scrap. I'm sure they are getting much more than $100 a ton. I got paid $7 per 100 pounds for low grade junk metal last week at Alpha in Norman. $7 per 100 = $140 a ton they are paying for low value scrap.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yaffe was paying right at 200 a ton a month or so ago. I remember a short time when Borg stopped paying for steel all together. If you have a way to cut it the Craigslist might just be your best bet

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought scrap iron from Standard Iron. (1501 East Reno Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK) http://www.standard-iron.com/
I think it was 30 cents a pound, and you scrounge and pick from the road-side pile. Sometime there's a decent variety, sometime not.
That would be the cheapest way to buy the scrap, ...but I don't know about the cutting/trimming.

If you'd rather pay the price for new items cut to specifications,
Try Metal Supermarkets, (8501 Gateway Terrace, Oklahoma City, OK) http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/
Be sure to call them, as they'll usually beat the online pricing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom