Playing with night sights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most important reason in my opinion for carrying with night sights is shooting from dark to light. Dark room to lighter room. Or even from an almost purely no light room to a lighter room. This would be huge if the homeowner felt that they needed to hide from the intruder and then a must shoot happened. Woman hiding in a closet or under a bed from possibly several intruders and then found herself in a must shoot situation. That type of thing. Or even from my bedroom to the kitchen or living room. I leave a little light on in those rooms so it always looks like someone is there and up. My bedroom stays very dark because I have to go to bed by 8pm. But of course, this is in no way an argument against gun mounted lights.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Valid point beastep, but that only applies in situations where you can control the light.

Counterpoint, dirtbag turns off lights in house upon entry? Or throws the breaker on the whole house? Then your light in the kitchen/living room no longer illuminates the target.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Valid point that I'd not thought of (no power). To be honest, at home I'd go for my shotgun first (which has a weapon light on it) and the pistol is for everywhere else.
I do want a light for a pistol, but I've not taken the plunge into a railed one yet.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Valid point that I'd not thought of (no power). To be honest, at home I'd go for my shotgun first (which has a weapon light on it) and the pistol is for everywhere else.
I do want a light for a pistol, but I've not taken the plunge into a railed one yet.

I used to despise rails on a handgun. And didn't value night sights. Then I tried to shoot a critter at night using a flashlight to illuminate both the critter and the sights.

For a range toy, I'll keep it clean (no rails on revolvers and my 9mm 1911), but for a "practical" pistol, I want a rail. You can get adapters that secure the light to the trigger guard; which I'm thinking about getting for my P228. Like this one:
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/...228-rail-attachment-streamlight-69037.239603/

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Valid point beastep, but that only applies in situations where you can control the light.

Counterpoint, dirtbag turns off lights in house upon entry? Or throws the breaker on the whole house? Then your light in the kitchen/living room no longer illuminates the target.

Absolute truth. Like I said Im sure not arguing against a WML as I am currently kinda in the market for one myself.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to despise rails on a handgun. And didn't value night sights. Then I tried to shoot a critter at night using a flashlight to illuminate both the critter and the sights.

For a range toy, I'll keep it clean (no rails on revolvers and my 9mm 1911), but for a "practical" pistol, I want a rail. You can get adapters that secure the light to the trigger guard; which I'm thinking about getting for my P228. Like this one:
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/...228-rail-attachment-streamlight-69037.239603/

I shoot critters here all the time at night. I wont let a possum or diller live. I got sick and tired of trying to illuminate my target and sights with a flashlight.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent some time looking for a railed carry gun but couldnt find anybody who made exactly what I wanted...so I didnt persue it further. A custom ($$$) gun seemed to be the only way to get what I really wanted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom