Poachers caught spotlighting near local river

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LINCOLN COUNTY, Okla. – Deer hunting season is underway and wildlife officials say they’ve caught five poachers in the act of spotlighting deer.

Spotlighting is when hunters use lights to cause deer to freeze, transfixed by the light in the dark.

The deer are then easy to shoot, which is why spotlighting is considered poaching.

Last Sunday, game wardens found a group of poachers spotlighting near a local river.

A local game warden was able to secure two of the alleged poachers when he made another discovery.

According to a Facebook post from the Wildlife Conservation, the wardens found three suspects in the back of a pickup, trying to unload their rifles.

Officials say they had a laser sighting device and a flashlight mounted on a scope.

Poaching charges are now pending in district court.

http://kfor.com/2014/11/12/poachers-caught-spotlighting-near-local-river/

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now i seen that on the news.
BUT did they find any evidence that they were after deer?
Could it be they were after hogs or coyote ??? I do not trust the news stations for accurate stories.

But hunting at night for hogs/dogs needs game warden permission

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with spotlighting without a weapon though, right? I mean just for the purpose of observing deer after hours. I've done it for over 25 years and it's actually the reason I first became interested in deer hunting to begin with. I've never spotlighted with a weapon in the vehicle, but I've used to successfully pattern deer esp in the days before trail cams.

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with spotlighting without a weapon though, right? I mean just for the purpose of observing deer after hours. I've done it for over 25 years and it's actually the reason I first became interested in deer hunting to begin with. I've never spotlighted with a weapon in the vehicle, but I've used to successfully pattern deer esp in the days before trail cams.

Guilty of it too. But I do think it is technically illegal. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject can let us know.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
General Hunting Regulations (p18)
No person may attempt to take, take, attempt to catch, catch, attempt to capture, capture, attempt to kill, or kill any deer, feral animal or other wildlife, except fish and frogs or except as provided by law, by the use of a vehicle-mounted spotlight or other powerful light at night, by what is commonly known as “headlighting” (or “spotlighting”) or use any light enhancement device (night scope). Provided, however, nothing in this code shall prevent one from possessing a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or .22 caliber rimfire pistol and a light carried on his person while in pursuit of furbearers with hounds during the legal open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license and fur license, unless exempt.

Department-Managed Area Rules (p44)
No person may take, catch, capture, kill or pursue wildlife or otherwise attempt to use for any purpose a vehicle-mounted spotlight or other powerful light at night for any purpose on Department-managed lands, except as otherwise provided for hunting of furbearers and predators, taking of frogs, or for navigational purposes while in a water conveyance.

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/pageFlip/

sounds like you're okay on private land, but keep your lights off on public land.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

just make sure you don't have a gun in the truck period! watching wildlife with a light isn't illegal. an unloaded gun, under the back seat, in the case, could land you in hot water.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I've seen some tickets written for "harassing game with aid of a spotlight"
On private ground.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to have a spotlight and gun in the vehicle, see the GW coming for you, throw the gun out the window, drop a pin on your smartphone GPS app, then go back the next day to recover the gun from the ditch.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I've seen some tickets written for "harassing game with aid of a spotlight"
On private ground.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to have a spotlight and gun in the vehicle, see the GW coming for you, throw the gun out the window, drop a pin on your smartphone GPS app, then go back the next day to recover the gun from the ditch.

Plus 1 do a quick search on OSCN will show lots of tickets for harassing wildlife. I would not have a gun anywhere near the area and would be very careful

Latest posts

Top Bottom