Post up this years predators.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
264Magnum said:
I borrowed a live trap from a neighbor, anyone want to give me some tips on how to set it up or bait it to catch bobcats or coyotes?

What are the trap dimensions?
Cats can be caught in a live trap, but I'm not familiar with anybody that has caught coyotes in one. From what more experienced trappers have told me, it's exponentially more difficult to trap a yote than anything else. Their nose is so good that a trapper has to go to extreme measures to get a yote.
In states that allow them, snares work well, but they are not legal.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I used to brush my traps in, and if you'll notice in my pics I don't anymore. My catch success is much greater when they're just out in the open, and I catch way fewer skunks. I caught a coyote in a cage trap last year, the only one I know of, or anyone else I've ever talked to has not seen one caught in a live trap. Water ways and narrow drainages above and below ponds is where I catch most of my cats. I'll try to find the pics I posted from last year, it was a little female yote.
[Broken External Image]

Trap height is important on the cats, 18" or taller is what I try to go by. Width doesn't seem to matter, a friend uses some traps that are only 10" wide with success. I use duck carcasses almost exclusively and the occasional pheasant. Trap location is key, since they don't hunt much with their nose, you've got to put it where they will see it, good luck!:)

Last edited:

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the trap dimensions?
I don't know the specific dimensions, but its pretty good sized. Laying on its side, it takes up half the bed space in my short bed F250.

Water ways and narrow drainages above and below ponds is where I catch most of my cats.

Trap height is important on the cats, 18" or taller is what I try to go by. Width doesn't seem to matter, a friend uses some traps that are only 10" wide with success. I use duck carcasses almost exclusively and the occasional pheasant. Trap location is key, since they don't hunt much with their nose, you've got to put it where they will see it, good luck!:)
Awesome. There's a perfect drainage on the property that I see coyotes traveling pretty often, stands to reason that bobcats would use it, too.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Good job on the cats and coyotes guys. I loved seeing those bobcats in a cage. Coyotes don't chew their legs off Shooter. That is an old wives tale. You can catch them by a toe or two and hold them most of the time. If they get out with their leg still in the trap, it is because the bone broke and the sharp edges of the bone cut the flesh and got them loose but they will not chew out.
My son and I got out again last weekend and had a great hunt. We called in 15 and only killed 3 out of those. Should have had 6 but our shooting sucked and we kept having hard chargers that we could not get stopped for a standing shot. All the yelling and whooping we could do would not get them stopped. Killed the farthest at 225 and it was sleeping when we started calling and just stood up in front of us. Shane got 2 of the coyotes and both his were inside 75 yrds. We had a ball and the action was exciting. Our first stand on Sat morning we had a pair come in from Shane's left that I never saw, a pair come in from in front of me that circled to his side for wind and then a single hard charger that ran straight in....so 5 dogs on the first stand of the weekend. Here is a pic of him with one from Sunday morning. I'll post up the other 2 when I get the pics.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_ShanePHCoyote.jpg

Sounds like you guys had a blast, and saw lots of yotes. I saw several almost everytime I deer hunted and now I can't find one, struck out the last three times I've called.:)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know the specific dimensions, but its pretty good sized. Laying on its side, it takes up half the bed space in my short bed F250.
]

Plenty big for a bobcat. Sounds like a 16"X14"X36. Thats the size we make bobcat sets with. Last year, all of ours were caught using beaver meat for bait.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason you use ducks, or is it just because they're available?

Just because they're available, after I breast them out I just throw them in a trash sack and put them in the freezer till I'm ready to use. Here's one from today, daughter in training:)

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_70979_.jpg

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like she's doing a great job!

The son and I gave it a try late last week. Saw a few does but no yotes. That is until it was basically dark and we were walking back to the truck. Then they were howling like crazy. Oh well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom