post your rib rub recipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
simple and nothing exotic:

Pork ribs, BTW:

2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup paprika

Very similar to this, mine is:

1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of paprika
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

I know some guys here are anti-sugar, but I absolutely love the sweet and spicy contrast. I'll use Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue sauce as a finishing sauce, mixing in some additional spices (including a bit more cayenne) and fresh minced garlic. Isn't sweet like candy and isn't spicy like hot wings, it's just perfect.

TulsaBandit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of paprika
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

Very close to Danny's here. I also do a mop of 3 parts apple juice, 1 part whiskey, 1 part raw honey

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't measure crap, so plz don't ask me for exact portions.

Marinade:
1 part soy sauce
1 part Apple harvest punch, apple cider, or pear juice. (Grated asian pears with the juice is best)
1/2 part brown sugar.
Obliterated onions and garlic. Lots of it.
Green onions cut to tiny bits.
a pinch of ginger (this is optional)
one or two spons of vinegar (rice vinegar is best)
Healthy dose of Sesame oil.

Marinate the ribs overnight. The longer the better. I usually marinate the meats for a couple of days. Also, this just so happens to be very close to Korean bulgogi / karbi BBQ marinade. Try it with cuts of ribeye, sirloin, or beef ribs :)

Dust ribs with this rub.

1 part cayenne pepper
1 part cumin
1/2 part red curry (can leave this out if you hate the taste the curry. You only want enough for a hint. Do not overpower with curry flavor. Err on the side of less curry than more)
1 part thyme.

Generously rub ribs with the rub and place on grill. When Ribs are about done, smother ribs with a honey glaze over the flame and let it caramelize a bit. Serve and enjoy.

Alternatively, you can just serve the ribs without the rub.

For traditional spicy Korean pork bbq, buy some Korean fermented red pepper paste at an Asian grocery store and smother the marinaded ribs in the red sauce and grill. Optionally, you can mix a little miso in with the red pepper paste for added flavor. Besure to glaze the ribs with sesame oil if using the red pepper paste instead of the rub.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Head country rub is about as good as I've had and I've eaten a LOT of BBQ. Light coating of mustard helps the bark stick, but I usually forgo the mustard on my ribs.

I've been meaning to try the Head country but I can never remember to pick any up.

What I've found pretty dang good is Cookshack rib rub. And to make it even better put on a light dusting of Cookshack spicy chicken rub first and then a not so heavy coat of the rib rub. The videos on line would have you use half a container on one brisket! Not necessary, just rub a good coating on it and let the smoke do the rest. I do add a little to the big end of a brisket when I separate it from the flat and put it back in for burn't ends.

I never use mustard on pork or beef but I might put a coat of olive oil on it if it's a real lean cut.

Latest posts

Top Bottom