Powder usable life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rckitbuilder

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 1/2 a can of H380 Powder that could be 5 years old or older. Is there any problem with using this old powder. Its been stored in its original container,lid on securely, inside a wood box and the box has always been in a climate controlled house environment. The powder will work with the new Rifle caliber I have (22-250) according to the Sierra Manual I have. Is there a usable life we should pay attention to?
Thanks

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way you have had it stored, you're good to go! I promise you, I am still loading some powder considerably older than that!

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Powder can last a LONG time. If stored properly I'd venture a guess that it would last longer then a lifetime. When it does go bad it gets a sour smell but you might have to be accustom to powder's normal aroma to notice that is is off

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a steel keg (12lb) of red dot from the 70s that I'm still loading out of.
I had some cans of H4831 from the 70s go bad on me a couple years ago.
They were dusty looking inside and smelled funny so I disposed of them.

If your worried about powder aging = don't.
Think about it this way. The mfgr. makes it. -It sits in his warehouse til the dist. orders it. -It sits in his warehouse til the dealer orders it. Then it sits on his shelf til you buy it. Then it sits on your shelf til you use it.
how long is all this 3years? 5years? 10years?
people shoot ammo that is 30-50+ years old everyday. sealed in a cartridge or sealed in a can theres not much difference.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got about 5lbs of 2400 that I've had since the 80s. It's been stored in terrible conditions (unheated/non-AC garage in Kansas) for the last 15 years. It doesn't smell funny or anything, but I figure I'll just use it for "pyrotechnics"; can't see risking damage or injury for $75 worth of powder. In your case, you should be fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom