Prairie Dog Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and a buddy are planning a prairie dog hunt for late this may. At the moment we dont even have a clear destination. I'm not asking you guys to give up your honey holes, but I would like some destinations(anywhere really we were thinking of wyoming) just a town or what not where we have a good chance of getting permission to do some shooting. this will be our first trip, but we are not really wanting to go through a guide. we were thinking about finding somewhere near a place where we can camp out. any info will be appreciated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our local GW went out to Beaver County last year, and said they just knocked on doors, and got permission.
That being said, I've heard that lots of the dog town areas have been leased by outfitters. Try looking at the news papers in Boise City or Guymond? I don't know, but it might be worth a try. Place an ad in their papers?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Check out central and north central South Dakota, I believe in the Eagle Butte area. Know a couple of guys in Enid that go there every summer and burn up a couple thousand rounds of .17 HMR every year.:fullauto: This is all Indian reservation, but they have had no trouble getting permission to hunt. An inexpensive small game permit is required. Have always wanted to go but they always go during wheat harvest.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not ground hogs, prairie dogs, they are much smaller and a huge pest to ranchers, a cow will break a leg stepping off in one of they're holes. not much left when you shoot a 3 pound rat with a .243...

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just wondering.. but do you use the meat or pelt? I've never been ground hog hunting

Interesting bit of info...I did some research on Monkey Pox in a microbiology class recently and found out that the greatest number of people in the U.S. that contract monkey pox get it from prairie dogs. You definitely don't want to be messing around with a dead one or live one (even if you know some one with a prairie dog as a pet).

bigelk76

Marksman
Reaction score
I went last summer and had a blast. I'm planning on going back this spring. It is a confidence builder when you can hit a prairie dog the size of a pop bottle at 200 to 300 yards.
If anyone needs it I have a good recipe for prairie dog stew. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom