Prepping is a Waste of Time and Money: Prove Me Wrong

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sorry to hear about the injuries but thank you for your service.
It was mostly a pleasure and a privilege. Though there were times... I've got just a bit of PTSD from doing so much crash and accident photography and autopsies, sometimes on friends of mine, and one was the husband of a former co-worker... Got to travel, meet new people, and didn't have to kill any of them. Though my unit ran the Air War for Desert Storm, so I helped others do the killing. Which is mostly how the USAF works. It was one of the reasons I chose the Air Force. We enlisted types send the officers out to fight, and stay back at the base to support them.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I think if you have 3 months of food and potable water for a larger disaster one is doing well towards preparedness. If you have a tornado shelter with that even better.

What really cracks me up is those who invest in luxury shelters at 1.5 million and up. Great idea, but if the worst happens how will one get there? First you need an emp proof off road vehicle or the ability to hike long distances. EMP strike first, then actual bombs will be the MO. Roads will be blocked. First day or so people will try to shop, then loot. After that all bets are of off. As a hiker with lots of gear you will be a target. If it's during the winter you will have cold weather to contend with as well. All of this depends on if you are healthy or not. Finally, if you do get there what if your shelter won't let you in? What if guards have "gone feral" and invited friends and family and displaced you?

Ideal for a shelter (and if you have much, much money is to have your own land with/or underground facilities (bomb or fallout shelter.) Again you will need to get to it, so you will need a vehicle that is emp immune and good health. Yeah, you can get loans, but then you still need to worry about a bad but working economy, or the bank gets you in the end if the worst doesn't happen.
Agreed, apparently the super rich have come to the conclusion that Tasmania is the best place to be so they have "shelters" located there. Good luck getting there after the SHTF

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed, apparently the super rich have come to the conclusion that Tasmania is the best place to be so they have "shelters" located there. Good luck getting there after the SHTF
Yup, most commercial and private aircraft able to make it that far are not immune to EMP either.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, most commercial and private aircraft able to make it that far are not immune to EMP either.
And even if it isn't an EMP what guarantees do they have that they will be able to make it to the airport or their plane in the case of a societal collapse which would spawn civil unrest and mass riots.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
- A couple of years ago one of the online prepper sites (IIRC - Canadian Prepper) that advocated for 'bugging-out' in the event of a catastrophe, decided to test out that scenario (in New York City).
- He donned his 'bug-out' backpack and started hoofing it under the belief that all the roads would be just giant parking lots, and discovered that even just a few days after an event, going several miles in an urban setting on foot from Point A to a distant Point B safely would be almost impossible.
- If the destination was more than 10 miles away from the starting point, you could expect to spend at least one night on dangerous streets. In addition to 'street gangs', addicts, looters, snipers, and anarchists, there would also be hungry dog-packs and other predators looking to take your belonging or your life.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
- A couple of years ago one of the online prepper sites (IIRC - Canadian Prepper) that advocated for 'bugging-out' in the event of a catastrophe, decided to test out that scenario (in New York City).
- He donned his 'bug-out' backpack and started hoofing it under the belief that all the roads would be just giant parking lots, and discovered that even just a few days after an event, going several miles in an urban setting on foot from Point A to a distant Point B safely would be almost impossible.
- If the destination was more than 10 miles away from the starting point, you could expect to spend at least one night on dangerous streets. In addition to 'street gangs', addicts, looters, snipers, and anarchists, there would also be hungry dog-packs and other predators looking to take your belonging or your life.
Everything I have heard, read or seen is "bug out quickly if possible." Compound that with fallout and you may be better in your house if it is relatively airtight (assuming no damage from the initial blast) and you have 8 or 10 feet of space between you and the outside. Fallout and radioisotopes tend to "stick" to stuff. If you are outside you no longer have that "bubble" around you and you hopefully are in anti-contamination clothing that is removable and fallout doesn't stick to as easily (with respirators of course.) If you are exposed, no scrubbing (thank movies for that myth) all you will do is abrade the skin and contaminate yourself further. All this of course is moot depending if the weapon was fission, fusion, yield and what designed for. A fusion bomb encased in cobalt (whose to say their are non in inventory) are the worst, even with an airspace of 10 feet Cobalt 60 is so radioactive game over. Fission airbursts are "cleanest" groundbursts with fusion weapons the dirtiest (neutron activation of soil and buildings.)

So is prepping a waste of time and money? Hence the debate.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prepping is typically not a "wast of time and money" if it keeps you and your loved ones reasonably safe and comfortable during or after an 'event'. Most 'preppers' prepare for expected events (usually weather related) rather than the rare or one-offs (radiological/biological/chemical/asteroid).

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately due to the stupidity of our politicians nuclear probably ranks up there with weather events. Chemical localized, biological has happened, again due to the stupidity of our elected representatives. Asteroid? I have no faith in the new breed of scientists and their ability to "see" it in time to avoid it. The real apocalypse is that of stupidity, we are living the movie "Idiocracy."

Latest posts

Top Bottom