Problem with my shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've a Winchester 1300 Defender I bought at a gunshow in October. It was my Exs favorite gun and she shot it constantly with birdshot, but I kept it loaded with 3" shells for HD. Well, a few months (and about four hundred Birdshot rounds) later it started; The first time you cocked it after loading it the second shell would feed into the chamber along with the first and both would stick.
At first it was a rare problem, and after we broke up it hardly ever got shot, but I've taken it out of the safe for cleaning once every two weeks and noticed that when I go to slam the shells out, they jam like that, every time. Doesn't matter if I do it soft and slow or hard and quick.
Any idea what could cause this? Needless to say until the issue is resolved it is not my HD gun.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you saying that two shells are coming out of the tube when you cycle it? Or is it not ejecting the first round?

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I pump the first shell, two feed into the receiver, and the first shell jams between the second shell's rear and the bolt at a 90-degree angle, while a quarter of the second shell's surface remains inside the tube. So, pretty much, two shells feed into the receiver and jam up on each other.

Pugsley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 1300 that did that. The problem was with the shell stop that is integral to the “slide supports” (45 or 46 of the below exploded diagram) that make up the sides of the trigger group. The front half of those slide supports are split into an upper and lower half. The upper half is designed to be pushed out of the way as the bolt begins to move back but to quickly spring back into place to prevent a second round from moving out of the magazine tube. What can happen is the upper arm(s) on the slide supports can be bent open enough that a second round can slide past them.

To fix it, just field strip the gun to access the trigger group and bend the top portion of those slide supports inward.

I don’t remember if it was “45” or “46” that I had to bend back on mine. However, I had the problem shortly after I bought the gun new probably 13 years ago, and I haven’t had another issue with it since.

afarm6.static.flickr.com_5294_5564959268_b38c9151e5.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom