Project complete...S&W 627 Pro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just put the finishing touches on a gun that I recently received in trade from my brother. I've been badly wanting a 627 ever since I first shot the gun so I am beyond thrilled to now own it. It was his daily carry gun that has had approx 8000 rounds put through it and has seen three trips back to S&W for repairs (out of time and a couple botched repairs on their part...one which ended in the bore being damaged). The last time in, it was rebuilt by the Performance Center and a new barrel, cylinder, cylinder stop, firing pin, and firing pin bushing were installed. Since the rebuild it has seen minimal use as my brother has transitioned solely to S&W's chambered in 9mm and .45.

The skeletonized and bobbed hammer is my brother's handywork. If anyone would like to see a side by side comparison with the PC teardrop hammer that it was cut from, I'd be happy to post pics. I removed the sights, installed the Fastfire 3, Hogue Goncalo Alves big butt grips, polished the hammer and sides of the trigger (satin finish). I believe that the gun currently has a Wolff reduced power ribbed mainspring, 13 # rebound spring, and Apex competition firing pin kit installed. DA trigger is 6 lbs to 8.5 lbs depending on which strain screw is installed. I will likely run the higher trigger weight and reinstall the factory firing pin for the time being until my stockpile of reloads with Winchester primers are used up, then I'll drop the trigger weight to 6 lbs, reinstall the Apex firing pin and switch to Federal primers.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics...

P6TplhIh.jpg

v0zzoNCh.jpg

sB6qWwPh.jpg

kRHI6GVh.jpg

fP3dSBRh.jpg

HPU7DFGh.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started to say how pretty that revolver is. But, no, handsome is the word. That piece is all man.

Thanks a ton Ronny. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. The gun rarely saw any detailed cleaning so it was a booger to clean up without polishing the bead blast finish. The photos do the grips zero justice. The figuring and chatoyancy is absolutely off the charts.

So I guess I'll see it at the local USPSA matches.

Hopefully one day...it's something that I'd like to try my hand at. For now it will just be a range gun used for plinking steel.

Last edited:

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's sharp looking.

What's the benefitof skeletonizing the hammer? I've never seen it done before and it seems like it would allow more gunk into the action.