Pruitt: Scientists receiving federal grants will be cut from EPA advising roles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a couple of family members that are PhD's out of UC Berkley. Marine biologists. They take the actual science very seriously but it gives me a chuckle in that they only focus in areas that shore up their liberal ideology. Last I heard they were working on the evolution of fish brains, but they won't go near anything that isn't "safe" to their views on environmentalism. It's kind of comical actually.
And I bet if their area of focus didn't prove their liberal ideology, but proved the opposition's POV, they scrap the study without a word

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A family member of mine is a PhD, and teaches at a large Midwestern University. This family member told me that a great deal of the job is finding/getting "research" grants. These grants ALL come from .gov.
Once, during the Obama administration, we were arguing about the coal industry (and the war on it declared by Obama), and I cited certain reports to buttress my argument.
This family member said '...those reports cannot be trusted, as they were funded by the industry.'
I asked who it was that funded the opposition research (as if I didn't know..), and was rewarded with a blank stare.

My point was made.

This hypocrisy has a long lineage. My anecdote above refers back to 1973.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I bet if their area of focus didn't prove their liberal ideology, but proved the opposition's POV, they scrap the study without a word

This happens both ways (Liberal or Conservative). A Geologist who was working for the Oklahoma State Department of Environmental Quality back in the early 80’s accumulated data that suggested ground water contamination from shallow gas and oil drilling activity without adequate well casing. He reported this in a department meeting prior to filing it officially. The next day he was payed off, his desk was empty and Data was gone. He told me this but legally this is still hearsay.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Probably but only after the funding ran out on it, I suspect. I find it fascinating that extremely intelligent and highly educated people can be so obstinate. These two really don't have political goals in mind on a personal level, they are all about the science and they love it. But they are the most loyal liberals I've ever seen. No amount of data, evidence or logic will sway them. It's quite baffling actually.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably but only after the funding ran out on it, I suspect. I find it fascinating that extremely intelligent and highly educated people can be so obstinate. These two really don't have political goals in mind on a personal level, they are all about the science and they love it. But they are the most loyal liberals I've ever seen. No amount of data, evidence or logic will sway them. It's quite baffling actually.

Politics should not influence science, medicine, engineering, etc. and professionals in such academic disciplines should avoid politics.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What Pruitt is doing makes sense to me. The only reason the AWG advocates would oppose it is because it makes their grant money harder to get. Then idea of a 'red-team--blue-team' approach is especially sound, I think.
I'm totally onboard with Pruitt's decision.
If you can't prove a scientific hypothesis with sound, nonpartisan research, they are in the wrong business.
I'm not saying all of their data is false. I'm sure some has some sound basis in fact, BUT, the cross the aisles approach with the red/blue team should result in some amazing data down the road.

Specifically about how we have been led down the path covered in bullshat by political agenda driven money.

If I'm your boss, and am a huge global warming advocate and have the standard 10 year agenda all of them expouse before the earth as we know it cannot be saved, I would expect you to produce the results the I want and what my boss wants unless you want to be changing oil at a take 10 for your next job.
That's the way it works folks.....like it or not.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This happens both ways (Liberal or Conservative). A Geologist who was working for the Oklahoma State Department of Environmental Quality back in the early 80’s accumulated data that suggested ground water contamination from shallow gas and oil drilling activity without adequate well casing. He reported this in a department meeting prior to filing it officially. The next day he was payed off, his desk was empty and Data was gone. He told me this but legally this is still hearsay.

Oh I have no doubts it goes both ways. But that wasn't necessarily a left or right. Both are equally guilty when it comes to big Corporate $$$ and law suits.

Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The EPA, DOE and other agencies have historically just fed itself. Advisors that are recipients of grants and direct funding are business as usual.
Now if they would just look at the FDA, that's where the big bucks and fraud lives.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The EPA, DOE and other agencies have historically just fed itself. Advisors that are recipients of grants and direct funding are business as usual.
Now if they would just look at the FDA, that's where the big bucks and fraud lives.
Agree, there is a large sword that needs to be swung to chop the head off the bureaucracy.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's not forget the entire "sue and settle" program at the EPA. This is when the EPA coordinated with various groups to forward a suit against the agency after determining the desired outcome. The EPA then settled with the courts blessing to the pre-negoiated outcome. All to avoid the rule making authority of Congress and corrupt the input process from other "less desirable" stakeholders, like the public, or the states where the new rules would have the greatest impact.

"See, the courts are making us do this, it's not what we would have wanted....."

Talk about an unreported travesty of justice against the nation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom