PSA: Clean your condensing coils....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Changed the filter on my AC today and thought I would check the condensing unit out side, glad I did. The coils were completely filled with dirt and grass. It is so dry here that the dirt is powder and blows around and gets pulled into the coils. Shut the system down, pulled the guards off and washed out the coils. I have already did this a couple months ago, and normally once a year will take care of it. Not this year...

House is cooling back down now, faster than it was, which is good..damn its hot out there...

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Outside should be just fine,inside is always better but this method will achieve its goal, with a water nozzle of some sorts to create a jet of water at about a 65-75° angle pointing downward in an up and down motion,be careful not to bend the fins of the coils,if you have a Trane, American Standard or a condensor with metal louvers covering the coil do the same but pointing up through the metal louvers. If you want it Clean plan on getting wet and dirty and TURN OFF THE BREAKER OR PULL THE FUSES before cleaning,the chances of getting shocked are slim but they are there!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you use a high pressure hose, be very careful you don't flatten and distort the fins. Better yet, don't use high pressure.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remove the cover, spray the fins down with a diluted Simple Green solution, let it sit for a few and most of the stuff will almost rinse away without any pressure at that point. I cleaned mine out a month and a half ago or so, but with this reminder and the 105+ days scheduled ahead of us, I think I'll do the same again this evening after the sun goes down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom