PSA for today ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does your wife get regular mammograms?

She should. I put it off and put it off and FINALLY went last year for my first one (several years after the recommended age to start). I didn't feel bad, no lumps, no weird discharge going on so what was the point??

Well, 24 hours after I suffered through the indignity of having the girls smashed we got a phone call saying I needed to come back for an ultrasound as they had found some suspicious areas they wanted to look at a little closer.

Turned out to be nothing (scar tissue from my reduction) but to say that was the longest 24 hours the old man and I had spent together in our nearly 20 years would be an understatement.

I'm here killing time for my yearly grab and smash now. Don't let anyone you care about put these things off. They will thank you later -- maybe -- lol -- and even if they don't the peace of mind is priceless.

Btw, there is new technology (3D imaging instead of the traditional 2D) that catches 41% of cancers 10-15 months earlier than the 2D. Ask of your insurance covers the 3D. If it does, and you or a family member are in a high risk group, it might be worth the extra expense (not that much -- for me it just means forking over $80, instead of $25) to go that route. And the cost is coming down every year. Last year I passed on the 3D because it was gonna cost me $200 out of pocket.

Ok, so now you guys know what I'm doing today ... Haha!:blush:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same thing with colon scopes. Had a friend that got to wear a bag in his final years, then died before retirement age, all because he was to "manly" to go get checked when he was supposed to and ignored the warning signs.

Died from Cancer that could have been totally prevented if he just would have checked his ego at the door.

Edited to add, I had a scope done at 37 for something unrelated to colon cancer. When Doc was looking around he found a polyp at the back wall and removed it. It was per-cancerous and he said there was a 95-100% chance that it would have gone cancer if left alone. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had waited 13 more years and had the procedure at 50 like is generally recommended.

Last edited:

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does your wife get regular mammograms?

She should. I put it off and put it off and FINALLY went last year for my first one (several years after the recommended age to start). I didn't feel bad, no lumps, no weird discharge going on so what was the point??

Well, 24 hours after I suffered through the indignity of having the girls smashed we got a phone call saying I needed to come back for an ultrasound as they had found some suspicious areas they wanted to look at a little closer.

Turned out to be nothing (scar tissue from my reduction) but to say that was the longest 24 hours the old man and I had spent together in our nearly 20 years would be an understatement.

I'm here killing time for my yearly grab and smash now. Don't let anyone you care about put these things off. They will thank you later -- maybe -- lol -- and even if they don't the peace of mind is priceless.

Btw, there is new technology (3D imaging instead of the traditional 2D) that catches 41% of cancers 10-15 months earlier than the 2D. Ask of your insurance covers the 3D. If it does, and you or a family member are in a high risk group, it might be worth the extra expense (not that much -- for me it just means forking over $80, instead of $25) to go that route. And the cost is coming down every year. Last year I passed on the 3D because it was gonna cost me $200 out of pocket.

Ok, so now you guys know what I'm doing today ... Haha!:blush:

The cancer diagnoses in middle age are the ones where the screenings have high value, especially for females, with good outcomes leading to long lives. Increasing age increases cancer likelihood, it seems to me. Both my mom and my wife's mom had mastectomies in their 70s. Cancer just seems tougher to dodge for women in that age group. The odds begin to stack up against achieving a long-term good outcome, even with good detection.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cancer diagnoses in middle age are the ones where the screenings have high value, especially for females, with good outcomes leading to long lives. Increasing age increases cancer likelihood, it seems to me. Both my mom and my wife's mom had mastectomies in their 70s. Cancer just seems tougher to dodge for women in that age group. The odds begin to stack up against achieving a long-term good outcome, even with good detection.

I think that is true of all of us. Getting old ain't for sissies.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to rag on my wife for doing the mammogram thing every year. Told her she was subjecting herself to more radiation and just increasing the chance of getting something bad. She started them in her '30s. They were "watching" several areas for at least 10 years. I don't rag on her anymore. They called like they did you. Did the Ultrasound. Did a biopsy. Got another call. After that it was surgery, chemo and radiation. And no it wasn't one of those areas they were watching. Did I say I don't rag on her anymore?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one done every year. Several years ago, I finally went to get one after I was bleeding so bad it looked like a crime scene after doing my business.
Found 3 egg sized polyps that were about to turn into cancer. Dodged one there.
Went the next year and yep, a coupe were back. Apparently I'd make a great chicken because there's always eggs in the basket.
Dr. said I was lucky. If I can go a couple of years with no polyps I can skip a couple years.
Had all my friends get there's done and only one did they find anything.
Stupid to die when there's an early fix.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait, WAIT, WAIT! :scream:

When did you get a reduction and why wasn't there a 'before & after' thread done on this? :cry3:

LMAO!! Oh my GAWD Evan, you KILL ME!! (Btw, I thought we were gonna have to pay for therapy for the Old JBT. I swear he went into mourning. I told him once that of all the things I thought I would EVER be able to say to a man "I can't believe all you married me for was my body!!" was NO WHERE on that list! Hahaha!

Yep, did it probably 5-7 years ago to take pressure off my shoulders and neck to try and get rid of those damned headaches. No worries ... I'm still a D-cup. Damned doctor. I specifically asked for B or smaller. :bah::grumble::grumble::grumble:

Still, they are a damned sight more comfortable than they were before. I was like a 36-38JJJ before. That ain't right. Unless you are 9 feet tall. And I'm NOT a basketball player for more reasons than my boobs or lack of talent! :hey3:

The nurse today said "OHHH, he did a GOOD job on your nipples. Some docs don't seem to be able to but them back where they belong. I've seen them ALL OVER THE PLACE!

I about died laughing. She was a HOOT!:pms2::pms2::pms2:

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one done every year. Several years ago, I finally went to get one after I was bleeding so bad it looked like a crime scene after doing my business.
Found 3 egg sized polyps that were about to turn into cancer. Dodged one there.
Went the next year and yep, a coupe were back. Apparently I'd make a great chicken because there's always eggs in the basket.
Dr. said I was lucky. If I can go a couple of years with no polyps I can skip a couple years.
Had all my friends get there's done and only one did they find anything.
Stupid to die when there's an early fix.

This is MY husband. You would not believe the carrying on his did before his first one. *****, *****, *****. Me and the Doctor just finally scheduled it and I MADE him do it.

Guess who had polyps?? Yep.

Guess who the doctor told that if he'd not listened to his wife and come in that probably 5 years down the road he'd be looking at colon cancer? Yep.

Guess who is gonna go back next year JUST like the doctor recommended and hasn't complained on bit about it since we left the office that day? Yep.

You guys are a stubborn lot. Maybe childbirth changes a woman's perspective on these things, but they can poke, pinch, squeeze and prod on me all they want as often as they want to keep me cancer free. I don't have a modest bone in my body when it comes to doing what I can to stay as healthy as I can.

Those headaches taught me a lot. I can honestly say I had no idea how much life I was missing out on. And I can honestly say I intend to spend the rest of my years here, balls to the wall, making up for it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom