Public Service Announcement: How Not to Scrap Old Bombs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never, never use a torch to dismantle old bombs for scrap.

Workers at a scrapyard in Thailand's capital accidentally detonated a large bomb believed to have been dropped during the second world war, killing at least seven people and injuring 19 others, police said.

Police bomb squad chief Kamthorn Auicharoen said construction workers found the bomb buried at a building site and sold it to the scrapyard in northern Bangkok. He said workers were using a gas-powered thermal cutter to take the bomb apart when it exploded.

The massive blast ripped apart the scrapyard in Bangkok's Lad Prao district and damaged nearby houses.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/02/second-world-war-bomb-explodes-bangkok

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reminds me of the guy 2 housed down that blew himself up welding on a 55gallon fuel drum.

Lord ... I've been guilty of "duh" moments a few times myself but I try to think about what I'm doing if I'm gonna be messing with stuff that has the potential to catch fire, blow up, fall on me ... you know, those kinds of things that might K.I.L.L. me ... :rotflmao:

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was really big into Civil War relic hunting, I loved artillery and heard so many stories about farmers throwing Civil War munitions into the iron scrap during WW2. I can only imagine how many were still active enough then to make a big bang going into the foundry furnaces!

Latest posts

Top Bottom